Carole André (born 11 March 1953), sometimes also called André-Smith (Smith being her father's name), is a French film actress who worked mainly in Italian productions. Her best known role was Kabir Bedi's love interest Lady Marianna, nicknamed "Pearl of Labuan" (it: Perla di Labuan), in the successful Italian TV series Sandokan (1976). Nowadays, André is in charge of international marketing at Cinecittà in Rome.
André in 1973
|Born||11 March 1953|
Life and Career
Growing up in Rome as the daughter of French actress Gaby André and American businessman Ely Smith, Carole André already spent time on the sets of Cinecittà at a very early age. In an interview, she remembered she "was always happy at Cinecittà. It felt like I was in another dimension, where crazy things were normal."
In 1967, her mother was invited to Tomas Milian's place and showed him family photographs. Milian, who at the time starred in the spaghetti western Face to Face, presented them to the director, Sergio Sollima, who agreed to cast Carole, then 14 years old, in a small part. There followed another small part in another spaghetti western later that year. At the age of 15, she acted in Mario Monicelli's black comedy Oh, Grandmother's Dead (1969).
In I tulipani di Haarlem (1970) directed by Franco Brusati, André played the lead role of an insecure girl longing for affection. The film ran in competition at the Cannes Film Festival. In an interview she gave in 1974, André considered it her most important film.
In Violentata sulla sabbia (1971), she was in the lead again. The film did poorly at the box office, and André started taking smaller roles again in films directed by Luchino Visconti (Death in Venice), Mario Camerini (Don Camillo e i giovani oggi) and Duccio Tessari (The Bloodstained Butterfly). In 1973, Dino Risi cast her for a bigger role again: She played the girlfriend of an industrialist (Marcello Mastroianni) in Dirty Weekend.
In 1976, André became famous when Sergio Sollima, with whom she had had her debut, gave her the role of Lady Marianna, "Pearl of Labuan", in the successful TV series Sandokan, which subsequently also received a theatrical release.
After this, and having in brief succession lost both her parents to tragic circumstances, André left the world of cinema to devote herself to her partner, the producer Paolo Infascelli, and their newly-born son Elia Infascelli-Smith, moving to live among relatives in America and also studying architecture and interior design.
In 1980, she returned to Italy and appeared intermittently in a number of TV serials and cinematic films until the early 1990s.
At the age of 40, André developed a passion for swimming and recently started to compete in swimming tournaments for seniors. In 2018, she won the 200 meter freestyle race at the "Campionati Regionali Master Lazio" at the Zero9 pool in Rome under the name Carole Wendy Smith, setting a new record.
André now holds the position of International Marketing Director at Cinecittà.
|1967||Face to Face (Faccia a faccia)||Cattle Annie||Sergio Sollima|
|Death Rides Along (Con lui cavalca la morte)||Susan||Giuseppe Vari|
|1969||Dillinger Is Dead (Dillinger è morto)||the boat owner||Marco Ferreri|
|Satyricon||boy kissing boy (uncredited)||Federico Fellini|
|Oh, Grandmother's Dead (Toh, è morta la nonna!)||Claretta||Mario Monicelli|
|1970||Tulips of Haarlem (I tulipani di Haarlem)||Sarah||Franco Brusati|
|1971||Death in Venice (Morte a Venezia)||Esmeralda||Luchino Visconti|
|The Bloodstained Butterfly (Una Farfalla con le ali insanguinate)||Françoise Pigaut||Duccio Tessari|
|1973||One Russian Summer (Il giorno del furore)||Irene||Antonio Calenda|
|White Fang (Zanna Bianca)||Krista Oatley||Lucio Fulci|
|Dirty Weekend (Mordi e fuggi)||Danda||Dino Risi|
|1976||The Black Corsair (Il Corsaro nero)||Dutchess Honorata Van Gould||Sergio Sollima|
|Sexycop (La madama)||"La Madama"||Duccio Tessari|
|1977||Sandokan (La tigre della Malesia)||Lady Marianna Guillonk||Sergio Sollima|
|1979||Encounter in the Deep (Incontro con gli umanoidi)||Mary||Tonino Ricci|
|1981||Turn Around Eugenio (Voltati Eugenio)||Milena||Luigi Comencini|
|1983||Yor, the Hunter from the Future (Il mondo di Yor)||Ena||Antonio Margheriti|
- Lancia & Melelli 2005, p. 15.
- Regis, Tiziana Ferrero (2009). Recent Italian Cinema: Spaces, Contexts, Experiences. Troubador Publishing Ltd. p. 76. ISBN 9781848760851. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Cinecittà Calling". Italy Travel and Life. 7 April 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Unknown (7 March 1974). "Carol André - La coniglietta perversa". Intrepido (in Italian). 10: 266–269.
- Lancia & Melelli 2005.
- "Festival de Cannes: Carole André". festival-cannes.com. Archived from the original on 18 October 2012. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Vasino, Gianni (1983). "Carole Andrè non è più la "Marianna" di Sandokan". Cite journal requires
- Online, Redazione (6 May 2018). "Nuoto Master, la Perla di Labuan Carole Smith vola sui 50 stile libero". Corriere della Sera (in Italian). Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Porzio, Ciro (6 February 2018). "Master, Record e spettacolo sotto i fari del Centro Federale di Ostia alla prima dei Campionati Lazio!". Swim4Life Magazine (in Italian). Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Masoni, Tullio (1998). Marco Ferreri (in Italian). Gremese Editore. p. 114. ISBN 9788877422156. Retrieved 15 March 2019.