Carol M. Meyrowitz is the Executive Chairman of the Board and the Chairman of the Executive Committee of TJX Companies, the leading off-price retailer in the United States. As of 2015, she is listed as the 76th most powerful woman in the world by Forbes. As of 2014, she was also ranked as the 12th most powerful woman in the world by Fortune.
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Education||Bachelor of Arts/Science|
|Alma mater||Rider University|
Born to a Jewish family, Meyrowitz graduated from Rider University with a bachelor's in marketing and management. She serves as a director of Amscan Holdings Inc. and Staples Inc. She's a member of The Boston Club's corporate advisory board, the board of governors for The Chief Executives' Club of Boston and the board of overseers for the Joslin Diabetes Center.
History with TJX
Meyrowitz joined TJX Companies in 1983. In 2001, she became Executive Vice President of the company, as well as the President of Marmaxx, the largest division of the company. She rose to Senior Executive Vice President in March 2004, which she maintained until January 2005. In January 2005, she left her positions and became an advisor for TJX and Berkshire Partners. Her plan was to leave the advisory role in September of that year to "pursue new opportunities and challenges" outside of TJX.
However, Meyrowitz became president on October 17, 2005; additionally, she became a member of the board of directors on September 7, 2006. She was appointed Chief Executive Officer of the company on January 28, 2007, replacing acting CEO Bernard Cammarata, the Chairman of the Board for TJX.
- "The TJX Companies, Inc. Names Carol Meyrowitz President". Business Wire; Gale Group. 2005-10-06. Retrieved 2007-02-25.
- "The World's 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "MPW 100 2014". Fortune. Fortune. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Jewish Voice New York: "The World's Most Powerful Jewish Women" By Jen Levey September 5, 2012
- "12 to watch: Carol Meyrowitz". Boston Business Journal. December 30, 2011. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- "Carol Meyrowitz Profile". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2007-02-25.
- "MEYROWITZ MOVING ON, HERRMAN MOVING UP AT TJX". Gale Group. November 2004. Retrieved 2007-02-25.
- "The TJX Companies, Inc. Announces Election of Carol Meyrowitz to Chief Executive Officer". MarketWatch, Inc. 2007-01-30. Retrieved 2007-02-25.
- "The TJX Companies, Inc. Announces Election of Ernie Herrman to CEO; Carol Meyrowitz Becomes Executive Chairman". Yahoo Finance. Archived from the original on 2016-09-08. Retrieved 2016-05-19.
- "5 0 Most Powerful Women in Business 2006: Carol Meyrowitz". CNN Money.com. Retrieved 2007-02-25.
- "The 100 Most Powerful Women". Forbes.com. 2009-08-19.
- Reuters.com Brief biography of Carol Meyrowitz