Carol A. Gotway Crawford
Carol Anne Gotway Crawford is an American mathematical statistician and since May 2017 chief of design, methods, and analysis for the U.S. Government Accountability Office. From August 2014 to April 2017, she was with the Department of Agriculture's National Agricultural Statistics Service. She was formerly at the National Center for Environmental Health of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. She also holds an adjunct faculty position at the Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University, and is an expert in biostatistics, spatial analysis, environmental statistics, and the statistics of public health. She also maintains an interest in geoscience and has held executive roles in the International Association for Mathematical Geosciences.
Carol Anne Gotway did her undergraduate studies at Bradley University and her graduate studies in statistics at Iowa State University, earning a master's degree in 1986 and completing her Ph.D. in 1989. Her dissertation, supervised by Noel Cressie, was Inference from Spatial Processes. After an internship at RAND Corporation and postdoctoral studies at the Centre de Géostatistique of the École nationale supérieure des mines de Paris in Fontainebleau, France, she became a researcher at Sandia National Laboratories. She moved to the Department of Biometry at the University of Nebraska in 1992, and moved again to the Centers for Disease Control in 1996. In 2008, she became associate director for science at the Centers for Disease Control.
As Carol A. Gotway, she is the author of the books Applied Spatial Statistics for Public Health Data (with Lance A. Waller, Wiley, 2004) and Statistical Methods for Spatial Data Analysis (with Oliver Schabenberger, Chapman & Hall/CRC, 2005).
In 1999, the Section on Statistics and the Environment of the American Statistical Association gave Gotway Crawford their Distinguished Achievement Medal. In 2002, Gotway Crawford was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association. She is also an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. In 2009, she was given the LAS Distinguished Alumnus Award of Bradley University.
- Crawford recipient of the 2008 LAS Distinguished Alumnus Award, archived from the original on 2017-12-01, retrieved 2017-11-30
- Carol Crawford, Adjunct Instructor, Rollins School of Public Health, retrieved 2017-11-30
- Gotway, Carol (January 1989), "Inference from spatial processes", Retrospective Theses and Dissertations, Iowa State University Digital Repository, retrieved 2017-11-30
- Reviews of Applied Spatial Statistics for Public Health Data:
- Diggle, Peter (June 2005), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 100 (470): 702–703, doi:10.1198/jasa.2005.s15, JSTOR 27590588CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Schuenemeyer, John H. (August 2005), Computers & Geosciences (7 ed.), 31 (7): 947–948, Bibcode:2005CG.....31..947S, doi:10.1016/j.cageo.2005.03.005CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Berke, Olaf (December 2005), Biometrics, 61 (4): 1133–1134, doi:10.1111/j.0006-341x.2005.170_7.x, JSTOR 3695934CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Lang, Iain (August 2006), Statistical Methods in Medical Research, 15 (4): 410, doi:10.1177/096228020601500409CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Reviews of Statistical Methods for Spatial Data Analysis:
- Zhu, Jun (March 2006), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101 (473): 389–340, doi:10.1198/jasa.2006.s66, JSTOR 30047467CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Coburn, Timothy C. (November 2006), Mathematical Geology, 38 (4): 511–513, doi:10.1007/s11004-006-9035-yCS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Prasad, V. K. (December 2006), The Photogrammetric Record, 21 (116): 414–415, doi:10.1111/j.1477-9730.2006.00406_1.xCS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Ozdenerol, Esra (2006), "Book review", URISA Journal, 18 (2)
- Robinson, Andrew (2006), Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 169 (1): 174, doi:10.1111/j.1467-985X.2005.00395_11.x, JSTOR 3559921CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- ENVR Awards (Distinguished Achievement Medal and Early Investigator Awards), American Statistical Association Section on Statistics and the Environment, retrieved 2017-11-30
- ASA Fellows list, American Statistical Association, archived from the original on 2017-12-01, retrieved 2017-11-30
- Individual members, International Statistical Institute, retrieved 2017-11-30