Carnival Vista is a cruise ship built for Carnival Cruise Line. She is the lead ship of her namesake class, which includes two additional Carnival ships, Horizon and Panorama, as well as two Costa ships, Venezia and the upcoming Firenze.
Carnival Vista in Valletta in 2016
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||
|Route:||6 - 8 day Caribbean cruises November 2016 - present|
|Builder:||Fincantieri, Monfalcone, Italy|
|Laid down:||October 14, 2014|
|Launched:||25 June 2015|
|Acquired:||April 28, 2016|
|Maiden voyage:||May 1, 2016|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9692569|
|Type:||Vista-class cruise ship|
|Length:||323.63 m (1,061.8 ft)|
|Draught:||8.55 m (28.1 ft)|
|Depth:||11.2 m (37 ft)|
|Installed power:||MAN Diesel & Turbo 3x8L48/60CR + 2x14V48/60CR generating sets|
|Propulsion:||Diesel-electric; Two ABB Azipod XO units|
|Speed:||18 knots (34 km/h; 21 mph)|
The ship was delivered on April 28, 2016. Sea trials were completed in March 2016. The ship's maiden voyage embarked on May 1, 2016 from Trieste, Italy on a 13-day Europe Cruise that ended in Barcelona, Spain. Carnival Vista is the first ship in the Vista-class cruise ships. The ship was christened in New York by its godmother, Miss USA 2016 Deshauna Barber.
On August 28, 2016, a wave caused by the ship's maneuver caused extensive damage to the tourist harbor of Marina del Nettuno, near Messina, Italy.
On June 21, 2019 it was announced by Carnival that the ship would cancel three scheduled cruises due to performance issues with the ship's propulsion system. BOKA Vanguard was used as a floating dry dock for repairs to the azipod system, following the closure of one of Grand Bahama Shipyard's drydocks after one of the drydock's cranes collapsed on Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas.
Design and construction
By gross tonnage (and therefore volume), she was the largest ship within Carnival Cruise Lines's fleet at that time. The ship was constructed in the Fincantieri shipyard of Monfalcone (Gorizia) and was delivered in April 2016. The first steel for the ship was cut in late February 2014, and the keel was laid in October 2014. The Carnival Vista Coin Ceremony/Float out was done in June 2015.
From May to October 2016 Vista operated an inaugural season in the Mediterranean before repositioning to New York to offer a pair of cruises. She then moved to her new home-port in Miami in November 2016 where she sailed year round until September 2018 when she moved to Galveston, Texas. She offered 6,7 and 8 day Caribbean cruises with ports of call such as Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Aruba, Curaçao, and Bonaire.
- "Cruise Ship Orderbook". Retrieved January 31, 2016.
- Kiellegung der Carnival Vista bei Fincantieri Archived October 25, 2014, at the Wayback Machine Schiffe & Kreuzfahrten, October 15, 2014. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "FINCANTIERI: CONSEGNATA A MONFALCONE "CARNIVAL VISTA"" (PDF). April 29, 2016. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- "Carnival Vista". Retrieved March 24, 2016.
- "Carnival Vista (9692569)". LR Class Direct. Lloyd's Register. Retrieved October 31, 2019.
- "Carnival Vista Fact Sheet". carnival-news.com. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- ABB wins $180 million in orders from cruise ship builders in 2013 ABB, December 6, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "Keel-Laying Ceremony Held For New Carnival Vista; 133,500-Ton Ship Set To Debut In Spring 2016" (Press release). Carnival Cruise Line. October 14, 2014. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7267 Barber
- Pam Wright, Carnival Vista Cruise Ship Creates 'Mini-Tsunami' That Destroys Italian Marina, weather.com, September 11, 2016
- Wave damage
- "Carnival cancels three summer cruises out of Galveston". Galveston County Daily News.
- Thakkar, Emrys (July 13, 2019). "Carnival Vista Arrives to Begin First-Ever Floating Dry Dock". Cruise Hive.
- Labrut, Michele (July 4, 2019). "Heavy lift world first for Boskalis to transport Carnival Vista to drydock". Seatrade Maritime - Shipping, Maritime and Offshore Marine News.
- "Carnival Vista Repair Underway". www.cruiseindustrynews.com. July 15, 2019.
- Riotta, Chris (April 2, 2019). "Crane crashes into one of world's largest cruise ships, injuring eight". The Independent.
- "Carnival Vista is Officially Delivered". cruiseradio.net. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
- "Carnival Vista - What You Need to Know". Cruise Radio. January 22, 2015. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- "Carnival Vista Heads to Galveston, Carnival Breeze to Port Canaveral | Travel Agent Central". www.travelagentcentral.com. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Carnival Cruise Lines News". Carnival-news.com. February 12, 2015. Retrieved January 26, 2016.
- "Carnival Cruise Line's Three Newest Cruise Ships Headed to New Homeports". cruisefever.net. Retrieved August 14, 2018.