Carnival Magic is a Dream-class cruise ship which entered service on 1 May 2011. The ship was named and christened in Venice by its godmother Lindsey Wilkerson, a former patient and current researcher at St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.
Carnival Magic in Venice
|Owner:||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Operator:||Carnival Cruise Line|
|Port of registry:||
|Builder:||Fincantieri, Monfalcone , Italy|
|Laid down:||20 November 2008|
|Launched:||27 August 2010|
|Christened:||1 May 2011, by Godmother Lindsey Wilkerson|
|Completed:||29 April 2011|
|Maiden voyage:||1 May 2011|
|In service:||1 May 2011|
|Class and type:||Dream-class cruise ship|
|Length:||306 m (1,004 ft)|
|Beam:||37.2 m (122 ft)|
|Draught:||8.3 m (27 ft)|
|Decks:||14 passenger decks, 17 decks total|
Carnival Magic was laid down on 20 November 2008, launched from her drydock on 27 August 2010 and completed on 29 April 2011. Sea trials were undertaken between 17–20 March 2011.She has 1,845 passenger cabins and 746 crew cabins and can carry over 6,000 persons.
The lifeboat configuration of Carnival Magic differs from that of her sister ship, Carnival Dream, in that Magic has 18 double-size lifeboats, while Dream has 30 smaller boats. Magic also has a large, highly visible SkyCourse ropes course forward of her funnel that is not present on her sister.
Carnival Magic spent her inaugural season, summer 2011, cruising the Mediterranean. She then made a transatlantic crossing in autumn, 2011, and was homeported in Galveston, Texas, from which she made Caribbean cruises. In April, 2016, her homeport changed to Port Canaveral, FL from which she continued making Caribbean cruises.
Carnival Magic is set to reposition to Miami, FL in September 2018, sailing 7-day Eastern and Western Caribbean cruises.
She is expected to move homeport to Fort Lauderdale, FL in May 2019.
Incidents and accidents
- 2 July 2012
- During a seven-day Caribbean cruise, a 39-year-old male guest died when he accidentally fell from his cabin balcony and landed on an open deck area three decks below.
- October 2014
- A Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas employee who may have handled lab specimens from Ebola victim Thomas Eric Duncan, boarded the ship Oct. 12 in Galveston, Tex. The hospital employee and her spouse showed no signs of the virus, but voluntarily quarantined themselves on the ship. The ship was allowed to dock in Belize, but the quarantined couple was refused the ability to disembark; thus derailing the plan to offload the couple for a flight home. Mexico went a step further and did not grant docking privileges to the ship.
- A United States Coast Guard helicopter flew to the Carnival Magic on Saturday, October 18, 2014 to obtain blood samples. On October 19, 2014, the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital employee and her spouse were allowed to disembark in Galveston, Texas after the tests were determined to be negative for both the employee and her spouse.
- Teijo Niemelä (27 August 2010). "Fincantieri launches Carnival Magic". Cruise Business News. Archived from the original on 27 February 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Carnival Magic". Fincantieri. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Carnival Magic laid; work starts Carnival Cruise Line's new flagship". Fincantieri. 12 January 2010. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Advanced Masterdata for the Vessel Carnival Magic". VesselTracker. 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "Carnival Magic (927918)". Port State Information Exchange. United States Coast Guard.
- http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/St-Jude-employee-named-Carnival-Magic-godmother Wilkerson
- "Carnival magic (9378486)". Miramar Ship Index. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Peter Knego (22 March 2011). "Magic Off Monfalcone: Carnival Magic Completes Sea Trials". Maritime Matters. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- Carnival Magic Deck Plan. Carnival.
- "Carnival Drydock Schedule". RyG's Cruise Guide. Retrieved 2016-01-26.
- "Carnival Magic to Sail Med". CruiseNotes. 19 January 2010. Retrieved 19 January 2010.
- Miami, Carnival Cruise LinePublic Relations Department 3655 N. W. 87th Ave (12 February 2015). "Carnival's Most Innovative Ship Yet, Carnival Vista, To Operate Year-Round Six- and Eight-Day Caribbean Cruises from Miami, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Liberty Reposition to Galveston".
- Line, Carnival Cruise. "Cruise Search | Find Cruises for 2018-2020 | Carnival Cruise Line". Carnival Cruise Line. Retrieved 2018-06-28.
- Staff writers (4 July 2013). "Man fell to his death from cabin balcony on Carnival cruise ship". KHOU. Archived from the original on 7 July 2013. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Lindsey Bever; Fred Barbash; Elahe Izadi (17 October 2014). "Mexico fails to grant access to cruise ship carrying Texas health worker". The Washington Post. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- John Bacon (19 October 2014). "Cruise ship returns to Texas; passenger negative for Ebola". USA Today.