Carmen Virginia Tyson-Thomas (born January 10, 1991) is an American basketball player. She won both the Slovenian and Chilean championship in 2014 and led the Icelandic Úrvalsdeild kvenna in scoring in 2017 and 2018. In 2018, she won the FIBA Africa Clubs Champions Cup with Ferroviario Maputo.
Tyson-Thomas in Keflavík uniform.
|No. 14 – Eastern Mavericks|
|League||Premier League (Australia)|
|Born||January 10, 1991|
|Listed height||175 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Number||7, 10, 44|
|2013–2014||ZKK Athlete Celje|
|2014||Los Leones Quilpe|
|2018||Colegio Los Leones Quilpe|
|Career highlights and awards|
Tyson-Thomas played for Syracuse from 2009 to 2013, averaging 8.9 points in 136 games.
Tyson-Thomas became a Slovenian champion on April 16, 2014, with ZKK Athlete Celje after beating ZKK Triglav Kranj in the finals. In July 2014, Tyson-Thomas helped Los Leones Quilpe win the Chilean championship after scoring 38 points in the title clinching game.
She joined Keflavík of the Icelandic Úrvalsdeild kvenna prior the 2014-2015 season. She helped Keflavík to the Basketball Cup final. She played the game despite a broken rib, but was unable to prevent a loss to Grindavík. Keflavík also made it to the Úrvalsdeild finals but lost 0-3 to Snæfell.
In December 2015, Tyson-Thomas signed with Njarðvík of the Icelandic Division I. In nine games, she averaged league leading 36.1 points and 17.8 rebounds. Despite her play, Njarðvík missed the playoffs. However, in June, 2016, the club was offered a vacant spot in the Úrvalsdeild kvenna do to Hamar's withdrawal from the league.
Thomas started the season with stellar play and was named the best player of the first half of the season by the Icelandic Basketball Federation. Despite leading the league in scoring with 36.7 points per game, Njarðvík cut its ties with Tyson-Thomas in March, siding communication difficulties with her. Furthermore, Njarðvík's head coach, Agnar Gunnarsson, criticized her for belittling her teammates and claimed she thought she was bigger than the club. In turn, Tyson-Thomas denied the allegation and criticized the head coach for his words, saying that her teammates fought against her firing.
In July 2017, Tyson-Thomas signed with Skallagrímur.
In November 2018, Tyson-Thomas signed with Ferroviario Maputo in Mozambique. On November 25, she won the FIBA Africa Clubs Champions Cup with the club, scoring 20 points in Ferroviario's 59-56 victory against Inter Clube in the finals. She made the go-ahead three point shot with 42 seconds remaining, giving Ferroviario a 58-56 lead.
Awards and accomplishments
- Slovenian champion: 2014
- Chilean champion: 2014
- "Carmen Tyson-Thomas". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Zenska kosarka, finale drzavnega prvenstva - ZKK Athlete Celje vs ZKK Triglav Kranj". sportida.photoshelter.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Matías Lorca Flores (7 July 2014). "Básquetbol: Leonas campeonas". La Tercera (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Tyson-Thomas stars in Colegio Los Leones title triumph". sportslashlife.com. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Óskar Ófeigur Jónsson (12 August 2014). "Fyrrum tengdadóttir Michael Jordan spilar með Keflavík". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Tómas Þór Þórðarson (9 February 2015). "Tyson-Thomas rifbeinsbrotin og missir líklega af bikarúrslitunum". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Anton Ingi Leifsson (21 February 2015). "Umfjöllun, viðtöl og myndir: Grindavík - Keflavík 68-61 - Grindavík bikarmeistari kvenna 2015!". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Skúli Unnar Sveinsson (27 April 2015). "Snæfell meistari eftir magnaðan sigur". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Elín Heiður Gunnarsdóttir (27 December 2017). "Tyson Thomas spilar með Njarðvík út leiktíðina". RÚV (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "1. deild kvenna (2016 Tímabil)". kki.is. Icelandic Basketball Federation. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Andri Yrkill Valsson (14 July 2016). "Fjölgar í efstu deild kvenna – Njarðvík tekur sæti". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Carmen Tyson Thomas hefur farið á kostum í liði Njarðvíkur". Stöð 2. visir.is. 20 October 2016. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Tómas Þór Þórðarson (16 December 2016). "Hlynur og Tyson-Thomas best í fyrri hluta Domino´s-deildanna". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Ingvi Þór Sæmundsson (10 March 2017). "Sú stigahæsta rekin vegna samskiptaörðugleika". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- ""Gerði lítið úr liðsfélögum sínum"". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). 10 March 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Stefán Árni Pálsson (11 March 2017). "Carmen tjáir sig um brottreksturinn: "Ætla ekki niður í þann drullupoll sem Agnar fór í"". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Tómas Þór Þórðarson (7 July 2017). "Carmen Tyson-Thomas í Skallagrím". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Carmen til Ástralíu". karfan.is (in Icelandic). 20 April 2018. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "Duas americanas para o "sonho de África"". opais.sapo.mz (in Portuguese). 13 November 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Ferroviario de Maputo claim first-ever FIBA Africa Women's Champions Cup title". fiba.basketball. 25 November 2018. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "Inter Clube v Ferroviario Maputo boxscore - FIBA Africa Women's Champions Cup - Final Round 2018 - 25 November - FIBA.basketball". fiba.basketball. FIBA. Retrieved 28 November 2018.