The structure of carbon nanoscrolls is similar to that of a multi-walled carbon nanotube, but with a spiral-like rolled-up geometry and open edges at the ends.
A number of methods have been reported to produce carbon nanoscrolls, including arc discharge, high-energy ball milling, and intercalation, among others. The wedge based mechanical exfoliation is also reported the similar CNS experimentally. However, the real world applications of nanoscroll products are limited due to their difficult colloidal processing. Thermodynamically, the nanoscale surfaces are stacking each other via van der Waals force to lower the energy barrier. To overcome this problem and obtain high quality nanoscrolls, a polymer-assisted liquid exfoliation technique has been recently demonstrated, allowing to manufacture high throughput and high quality CNS dispersions. Other material-based nanoscrolls, e.g. gold nanoscrolls, were also successfully attained by the exfoliation technique.
- Li, Q. L; X. Xie; L. Ju; X. F. Feng; Y. H. Sun; R. F. Zhou; K. Liu; S. S. Fan; K. L. Jiang (2009). "Controlled fabrication of high-quality carbon nanoscrolls from monolayer graphene". Nano Letters. 9 (7): 2565–2570. Bibcode:2009NanoL...9.2565X. doi:10.1021/nl900677y. PMID 19499895.
- Jayasena, B; Subbiah S; Reddy C.D (2014). "Formation of Carbon Nanoscrolls During Wedge-Based Mechanical Exfoliation of HOPG". Journal of Micro and Nano-Manufacturing. 2 (1): 011003. doi:10.1115/1.4026325.
- Kim, Jeong-Hwan; Benelmekki, Maria (2016). "Interfacial Transformation of an Amorphous Carbon Nanofilm upon Fe@Ag@Si Nanoparticle Landing and its Colloidal Nanoscrolls: Enhanced Nanocompositing-Based Performance for Bioapplications". ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 8 (48): 33121–33130. doi:10.1021/acsami.6b12993. ISSN 1944-8244. PMID 27934129.
- Kim, Jeong-Hwan; Bohra, Murtaza; Singh, Vidyadhar; Cassidy, Cathal; Sowwan, Mukhles (2014). "Smart Composite Nanosheets with Adaptive Optical Properties". ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 6 (16): 13339–13343. doi:10.1021/am5041708. ISSN 1944-8244. PMID 25116340.
- Kim, Jeong-Hwan; Lu, Tsai-Ming (2016). "Bio-inspired Janus composite nanoscrolls for on-demand tumour targeting". RSC Advances. 6 (21): 17179. doi:10.1039/C5RA27080D. ISSN 2046-2069.