Captain Lightfoot is a 1955 American CinemaScope Technicolor adventure film directed by Douglas Sirk starring Rock Hudson, Barbara Rush and Jeff Morrow and is a Hollywood adaptation of a book by W. R. Burnett written in 1954.
|Directed by||Douglas Sirk|
|Produced by||Ross Hunter|
|Written by||W.R. Burnett|
|Music by||Heinz Roemheld|
|Edited by||Frank Gross|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|Box office||$1.3 million (US)|
The movie is set in the early 19th century with the hero and his brother-in-arms becoming highwaymen, robbing the wealthy around the foothills of Dublin, Ireland. Captain Lightfoot falls in love, and the ensuing drama threatens everyone's safety.
- Rock Hudson as Michael Martin, aka "Lightfoot"
- Barbara Rush as Aga Doherty
- Jeff Morrow as John Doherty, aka "Capt. Thunderbolt"
- Kathleen Ryan as Lady Anne More
- Finlay Currie as Callahan
- Denis O'Dea as Regis Donnell
- Geoffrey Toone as Captain Hood
- Hilton Edwards as Lord Glen
- Sheila Brennan as Waitress
- Harry Goldblatt as Brady
- Charles B. Fitzsimons as Dan Shanley
- Christopher Casson as Lord Clonmell
- Philip O'Flynn as Trim
- 'The Top Box-Office Hits of 1955', Variety Weekly, January 25, 1956
Tony Tracy, "Captain Lightfoot (1955): Caught between a Rock (Hudson) and a Rapparee," Screening Irish America (ed. Ruth Barton), (Dublin: Irish Academic Press, 2009)