La Place Gustave Prat, Canteleu
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 49°26′28″N 1°01′34″E|
|Intercommunality||Métropole Rouen Normandie|
|• Mayor (2008-2014)||Christophe Bouillon|
|17.61 km2 (6.80 sq mi)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||2–138 m (6.6–452.8 ft) |
(avg. 128 m or 420 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
A small town of forestry and light industry situated by the banks of the river Seine, just 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest and over the river from the centre of Rouen, at the junction of the D 51, D 982 and the D 94 roads.
|The arms of Canteleu are blazoned :|
Argent, a chevron gules between 3 trefoils vert.
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places of interest
- Saint-Martin’s church, dating from the thirteenth century.
- The seventeenth century convent of Sainte-Barbe, built over a cave in the cliffs, overlooking the river.
- The Flaubert museum.
- The two churches of St.Pierre, at the hamlets of Bapeaume (1872) and Croisset.
- Vestiges of a 12th-century castle at Croisset.
- A Carthaginian column in the park.
- The sixteenth century Château des Deux-Lions.
- A turretted house at Dieppedalle.
- Gustave Flaubert (1821–1880) lived at the hamlet of Croisset for 40 years and died here.
- English painter Robert Henry Cheney (1801–1866) painted several views of and from here, including the watercolour Rouen-From the chateau de Cantelieu, July 19, 1842.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Canteleu.|