Campo de Sete Rios

Campo de Sete Rios was a football grass field in Lisbon, Portugal. When the rent at Quinta da Feiteira became too high in 1908, the managing directors looked for a solution. In the end of 1912, thanks to Cosme Damião, Benfica rented a field in a farm in Sete Rios for $250 yearly. To be able to support the rent and adequate the field, Benfica launched a fund raiser. The field was rented on 1 January 1913 next to the railway station de Sete Rios. Benfica then build a stand for 10,000 people and a tennis court.

Campo de Sete Rios
LocationLisbon, Portugal
OwnerPrivate property
Capacity10,000
Record attendance10 000
SurfaceGrass
Construction
Opened1913
Closed1917
Construction cost250$ per year
Tenants
Sport Lisboa e Benfica (1913–1917)

In 1916, the owners of the land asked for $650 yearly, plus expenses and the benefactories remain on the land. Also no compensation for eventual expropriation by the Municipality of Lisbon.

Sport Lisboa e Benfica refused and left the ground in 1917 to Campo de Benfica in the back of its headquarters in Avenida Gomes Pereira.

Between 1913 and 1917, Benfica played 38 matches, won 26, draw 6 and lost 6, scored 130, conceded 40.[1]

Date Result Notes
12 October 1913 SLB 4-0 Sporting CP First match, couting for the Lisbon Football Championship.
1 January 1916 SLB 8-0 FC Porto Thrashing of Porto Football Championship Champion.
25 February 1917 SLB 9-0 Lisboa FC Record thrashing, 7-0 at break.
7 July 1917 SLB - V. Setúbal Last match, friendlie against V. Setúbal

References

  1. "Campo de Sete Rios". slbenfica.pt (in Portuguese). Retrieved 29 September 2012.

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.