Cambridge University Boat Club
The Cambridge University Boat Club (CUBC) is one of the rowing clubs of the University of Cambridge, England (in addition to Cambridge University Women's Boat Club and Cambridge University Lightweight Rowing Club). The club was founded in 1828 and has been located at the Goldie Boathouse on the River Cam, Cambridge since 1882. Nowadays, training primarily takes place on the River Great Ouse at Ely.
|Cambridge University Boat Club|
|Location||Cambridge, United Kingdom|
|Home water||River Cam and River Great Ouse|
|Coaches||Rob Baker and Richard Chambers|
The prime constitutional aim of CUBC is to beat Oxford University Boat Club in the annual Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race. CUBC currently lead OUBC in the series by 83 races to 80, with 1 dead heat in The Boat Race 1877.
The inaugural meeting of Cambridge University Boat Club took place at Gonville and Caius College on 9 December 1828. Following this meeting, it was agreed that a challenge be sent to the University of Oxford to organise a race between representatives of the two universities. A letter was sent to Oxford in which they were challenged "to row a match at or near London, each in an eight-oared boat during the ensuing Easter vacation". Consequently, the first Boat Race took place at Henley-on-Thames in June 1829.
CUBC was one of five clubs which retained the right until 2012 to appoint representatives to the Council of British Rowing. The others were Leander Club, London Rowing Club, Thames Rowing Club and Oxford University Boat Club.
- "Cambridge Boathouses" (PDF). Cambridge City Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-06-23. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- "Sports Yearbook 2012" (PDF). University of Cambridge Sport. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- "The BNY Mellon Boat Races". Boat Race Company Ltd. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Dodd, p. 49
- "Boat Race – Origins". The Boat Race Company Ltd. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "Corporate Governance Structure". British Rowing. Archived from the original on 2013-01-20. Retrieved 31 January 2013.
- "Olympic medals for Cambridge rowing alumni". Cambridge University Alumni Relations. Archived from the original on 2013-07-03. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "Tom James profile". British Rowing. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- Dodd, Christopher (1983). The Oxford & Cambridge Boat Race. Stanley Paul. ISBN 978-0-09-151340-5.