Cambridge Associates is a privately held investment firm based in the United States. It provides investment portfolio management and advisory services to institutional investors, including foundations and endowments, pensions, private clients, and corporate and government entities.
|Headquarters||Boston, MA, U.S.|
|David Druley |
|Products||Asset management, investment management|
|Total assets||$389 billion in total global assets under advisement|
Number of employees
Cambridge Associates was founded by Harvard College roommates Hunter Lewis and James Bailey in 1973.
The firm initially provided investment research to endowments and foundations, and over time, it expanded its services to investment consulting and portfolio management for many institutional investors, such as endowments, foundations and pensions. Cambridge Associates’ CEO, David Druley, was appointed in 2016 after serving as head of global investments. He succeeded Sandra A. Urie, who served as Chairman and CEO for 16 years.
Cambridge Associates has, as of mid-2018, $389 billion in assets under advisement, of which roughly $30 billion is managed for client on a discretionary basis—a 50% increase from 2017. The firm has moved further into the business of investing on behalf of clients in addition to its traditional business of largely recommending investment managers to institutions and wealthy individuals and families.
The institutions that outsource the management of their investment portfolio to Cambridge Associates include the American Red Cross, for its pension and endowment; the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Foundation, and the endowment of Lewis & Clark College.
It offers investment consulting, outsourced portfolio solutions, research services and tools, and performance monitoring across various asset classes. The company also provides services in areas, such as investment objectives, asset allocation, investment management structures and guidelines, investment manager selection and evaluation, and performance monitoring.
- Leanna Orr (May 16, 2018). "Cambridge Associates Sells 20% of Firm to Client". Institutional Investor.
- Dawn Lim (May 17, 2018). "Cambridge Associates Adds to Its Family of Backers". The Wall Street Journal.
- Juliet Chung (March 14, 2017). "Cambridge, a $142 Billion Wall Street Gatekeeper, Cuts Staff". The Wall Street Journal.
- Alyson Velati (May 17, 2018). "Cambridge Grows OCIO Assets 50% in Year Since Pivot from Consulting". FundFire.
- "Cambridge Associates Names Druley Chairman and CEO". FINalternatives. May 17, 2018.
- Amy Whyte (June 7, 2018). "American Red Cross Outsources Investments to Cambridge Associates". Institutional Investor.
- Preeti Singh (May 23, 2018). "UL Lafayette Foundation outsources investments to Cambridge". Buyouts.
- Katrina Lewis (July 25, 2018). "Cambridge Associates Adds Oregon Endowment in Asset Manager Push". Bloomberg.
- Canada, Hilary (4 August 2015). "Energy Losses Cut Into Private Equity Returns in 2014". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- Benoit, David (24 November 2015). "Activist Investors Display a Lighter Touch". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- Comtois, James (20 March 2017). "Mercer not only consultant changing with the times". Pensions & Investments. Crain Communications Inc. Retrieved 19 December 2017.
- "Cambridge Associates LLC: Private Company Information - Businessweek". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2016-04-04.