He started his career in rock music with the band The Headboys in 1977.
From 1974, he has worked with bands and musicians such as The Blue Nile, Capercaillie, Clannad, Emily Barker, Fish, The Go-Betweens, Hue and Cry, Maire Brennan, Nazareth, Orange Juice, Aztec Camera, The Fire Engines, Mark Knopfler, Prefab Sprout, Runrig, Steve Adey, Kris Drever, The Silencers, Simple Minds and Wet Wet Wet. Whilst Barb Jungr, Claire Martin, the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, and Carol Kidd are others whom Malcolm has worked alongside in the recording studio.
His working credits also include The Boys of the Lough, Brian McNeill, It's Immaterial, Josef K, Mike Lindup, Stéphane Grappelli, The Happy Family, Tom Anderson, Tommy Smith, William Jackson and on Black's 2015 album, Blind Faith.
- "Calum Malcolm - Similar Artists - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Our People". Linnrecords.com. 7 November 2002. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- "Calum Malcolm - Credits - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Official Fish site: Biographies". Web.archive.org. 13 May 2008. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Black (2) - Blind Faith". Discogs. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Prefab Sprout - Crimson / Red". Discogs. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- Video interview with Calum Malcolm at recordproduction.com
- Mini biography and Q&A section at linnrecords.com
- Discography at Discogs.com