Caley J. Hall (born 1975) is classified as a listed New Zealand investment artist in Invercargill and Queenstown, New Zealand. Hall specializes in oil painting, and is well known for his Fiordland landscapes and expressionist abstracts. A largely self-taught artist, he has learned techniques and takes inspiration from other New Zealand artists, including renowned Queenstown-based painter Tim Wilson, Canterbury wilderness artist Nathanael Provis and Central Otago-based painter Peter Beadle. He exhibited his large abstracts at the Peppers Bluewater Resort in Tekapo in 2012.
Caley Hall at work in home studio
December 22, 1975
Invercargill, New Zealand
Caley is the artist formerly known as DJ Biggles, having worked in the club scene for many years. He also got himself in the news throughout Australasia in 1999 for giving then New Zealand Prime Minister Jenny Shipley a "cheeky" kiss on the cheek during a visit to the Earnslaw. Hall has written a book, “Jackson and the Plum Tree”, about his Highland cow Maggie and his Kunekune Jackson.
He has been featured in the New Zealand media numerous times, particularly for the generous support he has given to schools in the region both raising funds and introducing the pupils to landscape art. Caley was also in the January / February 2016 edition of The New Zealand Artist for his distinctive landscape style. In November 2016, it was announced that he would be the first artist in residence on a new ship dedicated to international wildlife and marine conservation. An artwork donated to the help fund the Earthrace Conservation’s new vessel Earthrace-2 is due to be auctioned at the prestigious Mossgreen-Webbs on February 28 with a guide price of $12,000 - $18,000. In May 2017 while working in his studio, Hall noticed the neighbouring Loss and Grief Centre were fundraising and donated a large landscape piece for their raffle.
In July 2017, Caley held a workshop at the Barking Mad Studio in Weaverville, California with the support of the local art community. The four-hour intensive class focused on oil-painting techniques with all proceeds generously donated to the Main Street Gallery in Weaverville.
In 2018 Hall won the trademark to Foveaux FM and launched a community station on 104.4FM in Invercargill based on the original adult contemporary radio station.
In 2019 Hall was again recognised with a Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year Certificate for making a difference in the community through charity work and a Kiwibank Community Hero of the Year New Zealand Medal
- Queenstown Artist"Queenstown Artist at Central Art Gallery"
- Artist’s space popular "Artist’s space popular". Retrieved on 14 June 2017.
- Empty Invercargill CBD spaces to be used by artists "Empty Invercargill CBD spaces to be used by artists". Retrieved on 14 June 2017.
- Landscape Artist Enjoying City Studio Location "Landscape Artist Enjoying City Studio Location". Retrieved on 14 June 2017.
- C J HAll ARTIST - Caley Hall. Retrieved on 05 May 2014.
- Landscape Artist Enjoying City Studio Location. Retrieved on 14 June 2017.
- Peppers Exhibition. "TEKAPO, NEW ZEALAND CAPTIVATING ARTWORK". Retrieved on 05 May 2014.
- DJ returns to old haunt "DJ returns to old haunt". Retrieved on 05 Sep 2015.
- NZ Hearld Jackson "Children's book focuses on Fairlie" Retrieved on 05 May 2014.
- School prospers from artistic talent "School prospers from artistic talent". Retrieved on 05 Sep 2015.
- For art’s sake, Otago Daily Times "For art's sake". Retrieved on 27 Jun 2016.
- Making an Impression "Making an impression". Retrieved on 17 Nov 2016.
- January / February 2016: The New Zealand Artist "Featured Artist January / February 2016". Retrieved on 17 Jan 2016.
- Stirling artist asked to first artist in residence on a international conservation ship, Southland Times "Stirling artist asked to first artist in residence on a international conservation ship". Retrieved on 17 Nov 2016.
- CALEY HALL Milford Sound-Fiordland, New Zealand. "CALEY HALL Milford Sound-Fiordland, New Zealand". Retrieved on 14 June 2017.
- Huge Donated Artwork to be Auctioned for Conservation. "Huge Donated Artwork to be Auctioned for Conservation". Retrieved on 18 February 2017.
- Earthrace Conservation "Huge Artwork to be Auctioned for Conservation". Retrieved on 18 February 2017.
- Invercargill artist painting for Grief and Loss Centre "Invercargill artist painting for Grief and Loss Centre". Retrieved on 18 February 2017.
- Local Artist Recognised for His Community Work "Local Artist Recognised for His Community Work". Retrieved on Monday 16 April 2018.