Caledon State Park
Caledon State Park is a 2,579-acre (10.44 km2) state park located in King George, Virginia. The property was initially owned by the Alexander brothers, founders of the city of Alexandria, and was established in 1659 as Caledon Plantation. Ownership passed, in 1974, to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
|Caledon State Park|
Boardwalk to the Potomac River at Caledon State Park
Caledon State Park (the United States)
|Location||King George County, Virginia|
|Area||2,579 acres (10.44 km2)|
|Governing body||Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation|
A 302-acre (1.22 km2) portion of the park known as the Caledon Natural Area was designated a National Natural Landmark in 1974 for its old-growth oak-tulip poplar forest. The park also provides a habitat for bald eagles along the Potomac River. Adjacent to the park is the Chotank Creek Natural Area Preserve, a state-designated private conservation area that further protects bald eagle habitat, in addition to wetlands and other significant communities.
- "Caledon Natural Area". National Natural Landmarks. National Park Service. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Kelleher, Colleen (June 30, 2013). "Va. state park offers chance to see bald eagles in flight". WTOP News. WTOP News. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Chotank Creek Natural Area Preserve". Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation: Caledon State Park
Media related to Caledon State Park at Wikimedia Commons