Calcutta International Exhibition
The Calcutta International Exhibition world's fair was held in Calcutta (now Kolkata) from the end of 1883 to March 1884.
|Calcutta International Exhibition|
Lord Ripon (who gave the opening address) in 1880
|Name||Calcutta International Exhibition|
|Area||22 acres (8.9 ha)|
|Organized by||Augustus Rivers Thompson (president executive committee), S.T.Trevor (vice president) and Jules Joubert (general manager).|
|Venue||Grounds of the Indian Museum and the Maidan|
|Opening||4 December 1883|
|Closure||10 March 1884|
There were contributions from Belgium, Ceylon, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Straits, Turkey and U.S.A.. The Australian colonies of New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria were all hosted on the Indian Museum side of the fair.
The Maidan side of the fair was connected to the Indian Museum by a bridge across the Chowinghee Road (now Jawaharlal Nehru Road). In the Maidan there was an iron building that contained Indian courts, a machinery annex, a military shed and a refreshments room.
There was a Punjab Court with contents secured by Lockwood Kipling.
The Maharajah of Scindia provided a carved sandstone gateway, the Gwalior Gateway, which after the exhibition was sent in 200 packages to London's Victoria and Albert Museum and then displayed at the Colonial and Indian Exhibition in 1886.
The fair officials included Augustus Rivers Thompson (president executive committee), S.T.Trevor (vice president of the committee) and Jules Joubert (general manager).
The ceremony was boycotted by the Anglo-Indian community in protest at the recently introduced Ilbert Bill, it rained (unusual at that time of year) and the illuminations failed.
- "Retro look: unseen shots of 1883". Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- "ExpoMuseum / World's Fair Timeline". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "1883-1884 Calcutta International Exhibition". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Cal Ex PO". Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Thomas Prasch (2008). "Calcutta 1883-1884". In Pelle, Findling (ed.). Encyclopedia of World's Fairs and Expositions. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 76. ISBN 978-0-7864-3416-9.
- "Calcutta International Exhibition 1883 – 84 | NCA Archives". Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Photographic guardbooks: Images of India | Victoria and Albert Museum". Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- Pelle, Findling, ed. (2008). "Appendix C:Fair Officials". Encyclopedia of World's Fairs and Expositions. McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 418–419. ISBN 978-0-7864-3416-9.
- Thomas Prasch (2008). "Calcutta 1883-1884". In Pelle, Findling (ed.). Encyclopedia of World's Fairs and Expositions. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 75. ISBN 978-0-7864-3416-9.
- "OPENING OF THE CALCUTTA EXHIBITION". 6 December 1883. Retrieved 6 January 2017.