|Service area||New South Wales|
|Service type||Bus operator|
|Fleet||401 (October 2019)|
Northern Rivers Buslines
John A Gilbert Group
The John A Gilbert group was founded in March 1926 by John A Gilbert as Reo Motors, being renamed in 1951. Initially a motor dealer, in 1941 it diversified into operating bus services. Its first operation was in Parkes followed by Bathurst, Dubbo, Goulburn, Mittagong, Orange and Tamworth. It also operated services in Sydney with suburban companies in Bronte, Ramsgate and Matraville. Most of these were sold over the years, with only Mittagong, Orange and Tamworth remaining by 1980. From 1954 until 1982 it was listed on the Sydney Stock Exchange.
In March 1996, John A Gilbert sold its remaining bus operations to Frank D'Apuzzo and Peter Simpson. In March 2000 Picton Omnibus Service was purchased. In September 2001, Shorelink was sold to Transdev.
From 2004 the Buslines brand was rolled out across all operations. In June 2006, Ritchies Bus Service, Griffith was purchased, followed by Perrett's Coach Service, Werris Creek in April 2008 and Selwood Coaches, Orange in December 2009, these latter two being integrated into the Tamworth, Orange and Dubbo operations.
In April 2012, the business of Jones Brothers, Lithgow and Bathurst was purchased, the latter having previously been part of the group until sold in 1977.
Ballina Buslines / Northern Rivers Buslines
In 1939, Clarrie and Jim Kirkland purchased two bus runs in Evans Head. Trading as Kirkland Bros, further operations would be purchased in the Northern Rivers region. In January 1970, the business of New England Motor Company which operated long distance services from Lismore to Brisbane, Tenterfield and Grafton. By this stage, the fleet stood at 45.
In November 1974, a service commenced from Ballina to Sydney. It was later extended to Brisbane. In 1986, the business was sold to Waugh & Josephson which in turn was sold to Bond Corporation in 1987. Kirkland Bros was sold to John A Gilbert in 1988. As at August 1989, the fleet comprised 111 buses and coaches.
In June 1996, the Brisbane to Sydney services were sold to Premier Motor Service who in April 2008, also purchased the Lismore to Brisbane service. In the 2000s, the Kirklands name was dropped with the business split into Ballina Buslines and Northern Rivers Buslines.
In June 2019 route 650 of Wallers Buslines to Nimbin was taken over and incorporated in Northern River Buslines.
Having been owned by John A Gilbert until sold to Warren Bremner in June 1977, the Buslines Group purchased the Bathurst business from Jones Bros in April 2012.
The Berrima business is the depot with the highest quantity of buses.
Having earlier sold the business, in July 1985 John A Gilbert purchased the Dubbo business from the Stonestreet family.
Forster Bus Service was purchased on 1 October 2015 from the Deane family and rebranded Forster Buslines.
Ritchies Bus Service was founded by Jock Ritchie in Griffith in March 1937, being taken over by son John in 1958. It was sold to Buslines Group on 1 October 2006 and rebranded Griffith Buslines.
Established in 1922 by Lewis and Maurice Jones, Jones Bros, Lithgow was purchased by the Buslines Group in April 2012.
The Picton business was purchased on 29 March 2000 from George Lee (Picton Omnibus Service) acquiring 23 vehicles.
The Tamworth business was acquired in December 1943 from Herbert Smith. Tamworth was the first depot to be operated by John A Gilbert, and the starting ground for bus operations. On 14 April 2008, Perrett's Coach Service of Werris Creek was purchased in April 2008 with 15 vehicles.
Ulladulla Bus Lines was established in Ulladulla by John Owens, being sold in 1969 to David Bray with five buses. It was purchased by Buslines Australia on 3 December 2018 with 17 vehicles.
Up until the mid-1980s the John A Gilbert fleet were painted white and black. This was then replaced by a white background, and three blue stripes going from dark to light. This was then simplified when Buslines Group took over to a single dark blue stripe on a white background.
Sydney bus operations
In 1939 John A Gilbert became a GMC dealer. It relinquished its GMC dealership in 1958. It would later become a distributor of Bedford, Isuzu, International, Isuzu, MAN, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and RFW operating out of Guildford. It closed its dealership in 1999.
- Advertisement Sydney Morning Herald 5 September 1951 page 5
- A Vision of Service Truck & Bus Transportation August 1996 pages 82-84
- About Us Buslines Group
- Buslines Group Australian Bus Fleet Lists
- John A Gilbert ends famly ownership Australasian Bus & Coach April 1996 page 7
- 50 years of Kirkland Brothers Fleetline issue 175 February 1990 pages 19-24
- Shorelink Australian Bus Panorama issue 8/5 February 1993 page 45
- Major Bus Fleet Sale Australian Bus Panorama issue 11/9 June 1996 page 28
- The Baird's mystery benefactor Sydney Morning Herald 11 May 2009
- The Highway Bus Fleetline September 1995 page 147
- Last stop for pioneering Jones Brothers Western Advocate 19 March 2012
- Buslines Group acquires Deane's Mid-North Coast operations Australian Bus issue 74 March 2016 page 5
- Ulladulla Buslines Buslines Group 3 December 2018
- World News Buses Worldwide issue 219 July 2019 page 40
- In the beginning Kirklands Buses
- New England Motor Company Limited Kirkland Buses
- Kirkland Buses part 2 Kirklands Buses
- Kirkland Buses part 3 Kirklands Buses
- Kirklands goes to Nowra Australasian Bus & Coach June 1996 page 15
- Nowra Coaches Australian Bus Panorama issue 12/1 August 1996 page 54
- Kings Kirklands Takeover Opens Routes Australasian Bus & Coach 6 March 2008
- Connecting Nimbin to Lismore Northern River Buslines 1 June 2019
- Bus Happenings in Bathurst Fleetline issue 138 January 1987 page 4
- Jones Bros sells to Buslines Group Australian Bus issue 51 May 2012 page 5
- Country Services Fleetline issue 130 May 1986 page 82
- 40 years of school bus operation Truck & Bus Transportation March 1977 pages 30-34
- Jones Bros of Lithgow Australian Bus issue 51 May 2012 pages 30/31
- "Operators of Renown…Foley's Bus Service, Kogarah" Australian Bus issue 55 January 2013 page 10
- Service-Plus in C&W City Truck & Bus Transportation November 1982 page 60
- Perrett's Coach Service Sale Australian Bus issue 28 July 2008 page 12
- Driving Scania's First 4 Series Australasian Bus & Coach September 1998 page 34
- One Step Ahead: Ulladulla Buslines Australasian Bus & Coach 28 October 2019
- New Bus Routes, Alterations, Transfers Truck & Bus Transportation August 1956 page 61
- Shorelink Australian Bus Panorama issue 8/5 February 1993 page 45
- Shorelink sold to Transdev Truck & Bus Transportation September 2001 page 6
- Gilberts take MAN Australasian Bus & Coach April 1989 page 9
- Mercedes dealership to Gilbert Truck & Bus Transportation July 1993 page 137
- Gilberts relinquish Benz Buses Truck & Bus Transportation October 1999 page 78