Busabout Sydney is an Australian bus company operating route bus services in South West Sydney.
|Parent||Joe & Tony Calabro|
|Commenced operation||November 1947|
|Service area||South West Sydney|
|Service type||Bus services|
|Alliance||Busabout Wagga Wagga|
Hawkesbury Valley Buses
|Fleet||112 (November 2019)|
In November 1947, Sid Neville purchased route 58 Liverpool - Leppington - Rossmore - Bringelly from MB & AK Scott. In April 1955, Neville purchased route 94 Liverpool - Ingleburn from Liverpool-Ingleburn Bus Service. In the 1960s, a coach charter business was established under the Coachways brand.
The Calabro family had a long history with the south-western suburbs, having operated services in Bonnyrigg from 1951 until selling the operation to Westbus in June 1989 with 70 buses and coaches. Joe and Tony Calabro subsequently purchased Surfside Buslines in October 1989 followed by Hawkesbury Valley in November 1990.
In September 1997, the Calabros purchased Liverpool Transport Co from the Garrard family, who operated services from Liverpool to Miller, Austral, Hillview and Cartwright. In October 2001 the Calabros purchased the remaining shares in Busabout and it was amalgamated with Liverpool Transport Co at the latter's West Hoxton depot under the Busabout name.
From 2005 to 2013 Busabout's services were part of Sydney Bus Region 2, with some routes part of Region 3. On 13 October 2013, Transit Systems Sydney took over Region 3 having won a tender to operate the new region including two routes that were operated by Busabout.
As at November 2019, the fleet consists of 112 buses. Since 2001 all purchases have been bodied at the Calabro's Bustech operation. With the introduction of the Busabout name in 1994, a white, green and yellow livery was introduced. In 2010 the Transport for NSW white and blue livery began to be applied.
- New South Wales Bus Operators and Fleet Listings. Sydney: Historic Commercial Vehicle Association. 1993. pp. 66, 73.
- "Contractor changes in Sydney regions 2 and 15" Australian Bus issue 64 July 2014 pages 38/39
- "Ownership and route changes" Fleetline October 1994 page 193
- Tribute to Frank Calabro Archived 12 November 2014 at the Wayback Machine Hansard NSW Parliament 6 May 2011
- "Calabro's Sold" Fleetline November 1989 page 176
- "Stateliner takes over Greyhound" Australian Bus Panorama 5/5 March 1990 page 23
- "Surfside Bus Lines" Australian Bus Panorama 6/6 February 1991 page 45
- "Ownership changes" Fleetline July 1991 page 118
- "Liverpool Transport" Australian Bus Panorama 13/2 October 1997 page 44
- "Fearne's is sold to Sydney firm" The Daily Advertiser (Wagga Wagga) 7 December 2008
- Region 2 Archived 25 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine Transport NSW
- Cut costs or bus contracts will go to private sector, minister tells drivers Sydney Morning Herald 7 November 2012
- Transit Systems awarded Sydney buses contract Archived 25 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine Transit Systems 7 November 2012
- More than 60 new buses and improved customer service with new bus contracts Transport for NSW 29 August 2013
- Busabout News May 2014, Retrieved 11 May 2014
- Busways Campbelltown April 2014, Retrieved 18 April 2014
- Busabout Newsletter Busabout June 2015
- Busabout Campbelltown, Smeaton Grange & West Hoxton Australian Bus Fleet Lists