The Burlington Royals are a minor league baseball team in Burlington, North Carolina, United States. They are a Rookie-level team in the Appalachian League and have been a farm team of the Kansas City Royals since September 1, 2006. For the previous 21 years, the team had been affiliated with the Cleveland Indians as the Burlington Indians. The Royals play home games at Burlington Athletic Stadium. Opened in 1960, Burlington Athletic Stadium seats 3,500 fans.
Founded in 1986
Burlington, North Carolina
|Minor league affiliations|
|League||Appalachian League (1986–present)|
|Major league affiliations|
|Current||Kansas City Royals (2007–present)|
|Previous||Cleveland Indians (1986–2006)|
|Minor league titles|
|League titles (2)|
|Division titles (6)|
|Nickname||Burlington Royals (2007–present)|
|Burlington Indians (1986–2006)|
|Ballpark||Burlington Athletic Stadium (1960–present)|
|General Manager||Mikie Morrison|
Staff: Pitching Coach: Carlos Martinez. Hitting Coach: Jesus Azuaje. Strength and Conditioning Coach: Jon Ervin. Athletic Trainer: Saburo Hagihara. Bench Coach: Kevin Kuntz.
Major League Baseball alumni of note are featured on the wall inside the men's restroom at the Burlington Athletic Stadium in the form of painted jerseys: Manny Ramirez (#22), Jim Thome (#25), Bartolo Colón (#40) and CC Sabathia (#52).
- 2019: Defeated Pulaski 2-1 in semifinals; lost to Johnson City 2-1 in finals.
- 2016: Defeated Princeton 2-1 in semifinals; lost to Johnson City 2-0 in finals.
- 2012: Defeated Johnson City 2-1 in semifinals; lost to Elizabethton 2-1 in finals.
- 2010: Lost to Johnson City 2-0 in semifinals.
- 1993: Defeated Elizabethton 2-0 to win championship.
- 1991: Lost to Pulaski 2-0 in finals.
- 1988: Lost to Kingsport 2-0 in finals.
- 1987: Defeated Johnson City 2-0 to win championship.
Burlington Royals roster
Burlington Indians (Carolina League)
In addition to the Appalachian League version of the Burlington Indians, from 1958-64 a team representing Burlington, N.C., of the same name competed in the Carolina League (Class B through 1962; thereafter Class A) as a Cleveland farm club. During its seven years of existence, the Carolina League Burlington Indians won one league championship. Its players included future major leaguers Luis Tiant and Duke Sims.
Burlington Indians (Central Association)
- Hill, Benjamin. Burlington makes Royal move, minorleaguebaseball.com. September 1, 2006.