Bureau of the Royal Household
The Bureau of the Royal Household (BRH) (Thai: สำนักพระราชวัง) is an agency of the monarchy of Thailand. In addition to a range of administrative and ceremonial responsibilities, the bureau also serves as a conduit for royal philanthropy.
|Formed||5 May 1895|
|Headquarters||Dusit, Bangkok, Thailand|
|Annual budget||6,800 million baht (FY2019)|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The history of the king's household pre-dates modern Thailand, links with the past are preserved. For example, the importance of "institutional memory" led to the appointment in the 1980s of a nonagenarian Khun Sawet Thunapradit as "Special Consultant to the Royal Household". From 2017, The Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary will under the supervision of Bureau of the Royal Household.
The agency's headquarters, headed by the Lord Chamberlain, is at Suan Amphon near Dusit Palace in Bangkok.
Some of the public relations of the monarchy are handled by officials of this bureau. For example, during a period in which the king was quite ill, the bureau's official announcements provided information about the monarch's condition.
The BRH, through its Royal Ceremonies Division, is also responsible for organizing events related to the Royal Family of Thailand.
The monarchy's household and finances are managed by the Bureau of the Royal Household and the Crown Property Bureau, respectively. They are quasi-government agencies of the Royal Thai Government with nominal cabinet representation on their respective governing boards but with the majority of personnel, in practice, being appointed by the palace.
- Iamtan, Suparat. "Royal assistance for families of bereaved, injured," Archived 2010-04-19 at the Wayback Machine The Nation (Bangkok). April 17, 2010.
- "Thailand's Budget in Brief FY2019". Bureau of the Budget. p. 98. Archived from the original on 2018-09-28. Retrieved 2018-12-06.
- Scigliano, Eric. (2002). Love, War, and Circuses:, p. 102. , p. 102, at Google Books
- "People volunteer for community service in the spirit of Mother's Day". National News Bureau of Thailand (NNT). 2018-08-13. Retrieved 2019-01-01.
- "Bureau of the Royal Household". Archived from the original on 2010-03-16. Retrieved 2010-05-20.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Thailand): Announcement of the Bureau of the Royal Household Archived May 31, 2010, at the Wayback Machine, October B.E. 2552 (2009)
- Handley, Paul (2006). The King Never Smiles: A Biography of Thailand's Bhumibol Adulyadej. New Haven: Yale University Press. p. 97. ISBN 9780300130591. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- "Thailand The King". photius.com. Retrieved 2019-02-12.
- Handley, Paul. (2006). The King Never Smiles: a Biography of Thailand's Bhumibol Adulyadej. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300106824; OCLC 466622191
- Scigliano, Eric. (2002). Love, War, and Circuses: the Age-old Relationship Between Elephants and Humans. Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2002. ISBN 9780618015832; OCLC 49225866
- Library of Congress Country Studies, Thailand
- CIA World Factbook, Thailand