Bulstrode is a large park and mansion to the southwest of the Buckinghamshire town centre of Gerrard's Cross in the English Home Counties. The estate, that spreads across Chalfont St Peter, Gerrards Cross and Fulmer, predates the Norman conquest and the name may originate from the Anglo-Saxon words burh (marsh) and stród meaning (fort).
The previous house was built in 1686 for the infamous Judge Jeffreys. It was sold to Hans William Bentinck, 1st Earl of Portland, who made it one of his principal residences and died there in 1709. In the 1740s, the architect and builder Stiff Leadbetter altered the house significantly for the 2nd Duke of Portland. Between 1806-1809, there were further re-modellings and additions, including the castellated West Wing, to the designs of James Wyatt for the 3rd Duke.
Bulstrode was used by Margaret Bentinck, the wife of the 2nd Duke to house her natural history and antiquities collection, with the south-west side of the park used for live specimens (called Menagerie Wood today). The botanists Joseph Banks and Daniel Solander donated to the Dowager many exotic plants to develop the gardens at Bulstrode, which became the inspiration for Mrs Mary Delany's floral “paper mosaicks” now held in the British Museum Library which were greatly admired by Queen Charlotte. The grounds today are grade 1 listed.
Their son, the 3rd Duke was a collector of marble and glass, and was influential in loaning the Roman Portland Vase to Josiah Wedgwood. When the 4th Duke of Portland inherited the title in 1809, he disposed of Bulstrode. The title then passed into the hands of the Dukes of Somerset.
The 12th Duke of Somerset, Edward Adolphus Seymour commissioned the present mansion, completed in 1865. After his death, it passed to his daughter, Lady Helen Guendolen Ramsden and then to her son, Sir John Frecheville Ramsden, until he lost his fortune.
After the War, Sir John used part of the property for chemical research into sisal by-products, but the property fell into disrepair.
After his death in 1958, the park was sold to a farmer, and the mansion and woodland were bought by the Bruderhof community, who support themselves with light industry.
In 1966, the Bruderhof moved to the United States, and the property was bought by WEC International, a Christian evangelical mission agency, who have gradually restored and improved the public parts of the house's interior.
The history of the house and a Guide to the gardens are available in a booklet called 'Bulstrode, the home of WEC International'. The house and grounds have now been sold STC through Savills. 'Bulstrode: Splendour and Scandals of a Buckinghamshire Mansion' by DJ Kelly, published in 2019, charts the many residents of Bulstrode.
- Bosworth-Toller. "Anglo-Saxon dictionary".
- The Paper Garden: Mrs Delany Begins Her Life's Work at 72 by Molly Peacock Bloomsbury Publishing Plc 140882101X
- Bebbington, Gillian. (1972) London Street Names. London: B.T. Batsford. p. 64. ISBN 0713401400
- "Darvell Bruderhof | Diggers and Dreamers". www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Inside religious Sussex commune where you can't work or date without permission". The Sun. 20 July 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- Stewart and Jean, Moulds (May–June 2004). "Recruitment, Renewal and Redevelopment". WEC Worldwide magazine. 528: 3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bulstrode Park.|