Buenos Aires Central Railway
The Buenos Aires Central Railway (FCCBA) (in Spanish: Ferrocarril Central Buenos Aires) was an Argentine railway company which built and operated a 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge railway line from Buenos Aires to the city of 4 de Febrero in Santa Fe.
|Buenos Aires Central Railway|
Chacarita station, 1880s.
|Native name||Ferrocarril Central de Buenos Aires|
|Status||Defunct company; some rail lines active|
|Locale||Buenos Aires, Santa Fe|
4 de Febrero (Santa Fe)
Zárate, Buenos Aires
|Owner||Government of Argentina|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
On 2 October 1884 entrepreneur Federico Lacroze was granted a concession to build a 47 km horse-drawn railway from the Chacarita station of Buenos Aires (later demolished and replaced by Federico Lacroze terminus) to Pilar. On 6 April 1888 the line was opened by the "Tramway Rural" company and was extended by 53 km to Zárate on 27 July of the same year. From 1891 the company was allowed to operate trains using steam locomotives.
The railway then built another line from Fátima to Salto, reaching San Andrés de Giles on 24 May 1889, Heavy on 17 December 1892, Carmen de Areco on 15 March 1894 and finally Salto on 1 December 1896. On 26 August 1897 the company changed its name by Provincial decree to "Ferrocarril Rural de la Provincia de Buenos Aires" and on 11 October 1906 it changed again to "Ferrocarril Central de Buenos Aires". The line was extended from Salto to Rojas on 15 March 1909 and reached its destination, 4 de Febrero, on 29 July 1915.
In 1913 the BACR linked with Entre Ríos Railway, which passengers took after crossing the river by ferry. Once the transhipment was done, the ERR carried passengers to neighbouring cities of Asunción, Salto (Uruguay) and Uruguayana (Brazil).
Branch lines to San Martín and to Campo de Mayo in Greater Buenos Aires were opened on 20 February 1911 and 30 November 1914, respectively. Interchange was possible with the French-owned 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) metre gauge line of the Compañía General de Buenos Aires in Salto, with the 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) broad gauge line of the British-owned Central Argentine Railway in San Martín (GBA) and with the 5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm) broad gauge line of the British-owned Buenos Aires and Pacific Railway in Caseros.
- Ferrocarril Urquiza - Historia, Metrovías website
- "El Federico" by Ariel Labrada, Historias de Rojas website
- "La estación Toro como hito fundacional de Presidente Derqui", by Alberto Allindo & Walter Belfiore on Derqui website (Archive)