Budanje (pronounced [buˈdaːnjɛ]; German: Budaine; Italian: Budagne) is a settlement in the upper Vipava Valley in the Municipality of Ajdovščina in the Littoral region of Slovenia. It includes the hamlets of Avžlak, Brith, Kodelska Vas, Žgavska Vas, Krašnovska Vas, Severska Vas, Kranjčevska Vas, Pirčevska Vas, Grapa, Žaga, Perovce, Šumljak, and Log.
Location in Slovenia
|Coordinates: 45°52′25.48″N 13°57′6.6″E|
|• Total||5.28 km2 (2.04 sq mi)|
|Elevation||239.8 m (786.7 ft)|
|• Metro density||154/km2 (400/sq mi)|
Budanje was attested in written sources in 1763–87 as Bdanije, Bedanije, and Bedanje. The name is probably derived from the hypocorism Budan; if so, the name is originally a plural demonym meaning 'inhabitants of Budan's village'.
There are three churches in Budanje. The parish church in the settlement is dedicated to Saint Nicholas and belongs to the Koper Diocese. A second church belonging to the parish is built on a small hill above the main village and is dedicated to Saint Acacius. A church in the hamlet of Log is dedicated to Our Lady Comforter of the Afflicted and belongs to the Parish of Vipava.
- "Budanje, Ajdovščina". Place Names. Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Memorie della Società geografica italiana, vol. 15. 1915. Rome: Società geografica italiana, p. 167.
- Ajdovščina municipal site Archived May 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Snoj, Marko (2009). Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan. p. 85.
- Spremembe naselij 1948–95. 1996. Database. Ljubljana: Geografski inštitut ZRC SAZU, DZS.
- Koper Diocese list of churches Archived March 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine