Browns River (Tasmania)
|⁃ location||near Neika|
|⁃ coordinates||42°19′46″S 147°29′54″E|
|⁃ elevation||464 m (1,522 ft)|
|Mouth||Halfmoon Bay, D'Entrecasteaux Channel|
|east of Kingston|
|0 m (0 ft)|
|Length||12 km (7.5 mi)|
Course and features
The river rises near Neika and flows generally east towards Kingston, where it empties into Halfmoon Bay within the D'Entrecasteaux Channel that also forms part of the Derwent estuary. The river descends 464 metres (1,522 ft) over its 12-kilometre (7.5 mi) course.
The river was named after botanist Robert Brown who collected samples in the area in 1804. When it was settled in 1808, the area adjacent to the river was also called Browns River. The locality was renamed "Kingston" in 1851.
- "Focus on Kingston". The Mercury. News Limited. 18 October 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Kingborough Early Settlement". Kingborough Council. Archived from the original on 25 March 2013. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Map of Browns River, TAS". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- Bolt, Frank (2006). "Kingston". Centre for Tasmanian Historical Studies. University of Tasmania. Retrieved 27 February 2013.