Brodie Smith (born 14 January 1992) is a professional Australian rules football player who plays for the Adelaide Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). Smith was Adelaide's first selection in the 2010 National Draft at pick 14 overall.
Smith in June 2019
|Full name||Brodie Smith|
|Date of birth||14 January 1992|
Woodville-West Torrens (SANFL)
|Draft||No. 14, 2010 national draft|
Round 1, 2011, Adelaide|
vs. Hawthorn, at AAMI Stadium
|Height||189 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||90 kg (198 lb)|
|Position(s)||Small defender, midfielder|
|International team honours|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of round 14, 2019.
2 State and international statistics correct as of 2014.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Smith made his debut in round 1 of his very first season, 2011, against Hawthorn. He played 14 games in his first season and showed plenty of maturity for a first-year player, averaging 13 disposals per game. He played 22 games including three finals in 2012 as a running defender, shutting down opposition forwards such as Steve Johnson and providing run off half-back, also becoming noted for kicking goals from long range. Despite fracturing his collarbone in the 2013 pre-season, Smith played the final 18 games of the season, continuing to play mainly at half-back. He played his 50th game in round 19 against Port Adelaide and gathered a career-high 29 possessions in the last game against West Coast.
Smith signed a new contract with the Crows early in the 2014 season, keeping him at the club until 2016. He went on to have a career-best year at the club, averaging 23 disposals and ranking first in the competition for long kicks and second for rebound 50s and metres gained. This earned him selection in the All-Australian team and in the Australian international rules football team for the 2014 International Rules Test. Smith remained one of the AFL's most damaging half-backs in 2015, recovering from two concussions early in the season to lead the club in rebound 50s and finish fifth in the AFL for metres gained.
In the First Qualifying Final against Greater Western Sydney in 2017, Smith tore his ACL in the first quarter after kicking the Crows' first goal for the match. The injury ended his season, but Adelaide went on to win the match by 36 points. Due to the nature of his injury, he missed the majority of the 2018 season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- "Brodie Smith of the Adelaide Crows Player Profile and AFL Stats". Footywire.com. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- "Brodie Smith - AFC.com.au". AFC.com.au. Adelaide Football Club. Archived from the original on 15 April 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Brodie Breaks Collarbone". TripleM.com.au. Triple M. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Thring, Harry (31 March 2014). "Crow Brodie Smith earns new two-year deal". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Star Crow Brodie Smith slowly comes to grips with place among game's elite". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. 7 November 2014. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- Phelan, Jennifer (7 September 2017). "Crow's year looks over after knee injury". Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- King, Travis (8 September 2017). "Scans confirm worst news for gun Crow". AFL.com.au. Australian Football League. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- "AFL Tables - Brodie Smith statistics". AFL Tables.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brodie Smith.|