British International School Bratislava
Established in 1997 The British International School Bratislava is one of the longest serving international schools in Slovakia. Currently, the school educates over 770 students between the ages of 2 and 18 years from over 40 countries. BISB educates children at preschool, primary, and secondary level and it is located in Dubravka. The school follows a curriculum based on the National Curriculum of England, International General Certificate in Secondary Education (IGCSE) and the Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP). The language of instruction is English. At the age of seven, students can choose a second foreign language (German, French or Spanish). Slovak and Korean nationals can study their mother tongues during the curriculum time. The school is accredited be the Ministry of Education of the Slovak Republic, Cambridge Examinations Board and International Baccalaureate Organisation.
|The British International School Bratislava|
|Motto||Bike Kicks Are Us!|
|Owner||Nord Anglia Education|
|Age||2 to 18|
Campus and location
The British International School Bratislava is located 8 km from the city center in Dubravka, Bratislava. The school has three campuses: Nursery at Dolinskeho 1, Early Years Centre at Peknikova 4, Primary and Secondary School (main building) at Peknikova 6.
About Nord Anglia Education
The BISB is a part of Nord Anglia Education (NAE). This family of schools consists of 55 international schools located in China, Europe, Middle East, Southeast Asia and the Americas. Together, they educate more than 50,000 students from kindergarten through to the end of secondary education.
Over 70% of the total student body of the British International School are from the expat families. The remaining 30% of the student body come from local families.
- ICT rooms
- 6 modern, Science labs
- IB study room
- 2 bubble gyms in winter
- Dance studio
- Multipurpose hall/theatre
Outdoor facilities include
- New all-weather sporting surface
- Basketball courts
- 200 meter athletics track
- Half-size Astroturf football pitch
- 1.296 m2 outdoor field (football, basketball, tennis or badminton).
- 4 playgrounds for younger children
The school provides a nursery, early years, primary and secondary school education. Curriculum in Nursery – Year 9 is based on the National Curriculum of England and Wales. Students then complete the two-year IGCSE programme in Years 10 and 11, followed by the IB Diploma programme in Years 12 and 13.
Activities include Model United Nations, International Award, Tanzania Expedition, JLR 4x4 in Schools competition, Young Enterprise Award, Maths and Science Challenges, etc. The student-elected Primary and Secondary Student Councils raise funds in support of local charitable initiatives.
The Juilliard School
In 2015 Nord Anglia Education and The Juilliard School announced a global collaboration to enhance performing arts education for students age 5-18. The program includes an embedded curriculum along with continued support and engagement with Juilliard alumni and affiliated artists. It also includes professional development for teachers, a summer school and private lessons. The Music curriculum was rolled out in the British International School Bratislava in September 2016, while Dance curriculum will start in September 2018.
MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
In September 2018, BISB will start with another collaboration with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on STEAM subjects for students age 5-18. The collaboration will "develop a new approach to implement science, technology, engineering, visual arts, and mathematics at BISB and across other 54 Nord Anglia schools worldwide".
The United Nations have identified 17 Sustainable Development Goals (Global Goals), to transform our world and create a better future for our planet and everyone living on it. BISB students will work together to raise awareness of and take action on the goals, whilst researching and designing practical solutions to achieve them.
- "Slovakia. Bratislava. The British International School Bratislava". The Nord Anglia Education. Retrieved 2019-12-07.
- "Find a Cambridge school. Country: Slovakia. City: Bratislava". Cambridge Assessment International Education. Retrieved 2019-12-07.
- "The British International School Bratislava". COBIS. Retrieved 2019-12-07.
- "The British International School Bratislava". ib. Retrieved 2019-12-07.