British Cardiovascular Society
The British Cardiovascular Society (BCS) is a UK-wide health organisation based in London.
The first idea for the BCS came in 1910 by the Scottish cardiologist Sir James Mackenzie. At an Association of Physicians meeting in Oxford on 22 April 1922, the Cardiac Club was formed by 5 cardiologists: Carey F. Coombs, T. F. Cotton, John Cowan, A. G. Gibson (as chair), and W. E. Hume. It was founded in 1922 at the Club's first active meeting by 15 founder members — the original five plus ten others, including Thomas J. Horder and Thomas Lewis — and with one honorary member, namely Mackenzie. In April 1937 it became the Cardiac Society of Great Britain and Ireland. In 1946 it became the British Cardiac Society.
It is situated in Fitzrovia in the London Borough of Camden. It became a UK Registered Charity in 2002. Its membership (2,500) included doctors and nurses. It is part of the European Society of Cardiology.
- Category:Cardiovascular system
- Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre