Briony McRoberts (10 February 1957 – 17 July 2013) was an English actress.
|Died||17 July 2013 56) (aged|
|Cause of death||Suicide by train|
|Spouse(s)||David Robb (1978-2013; her death)|
On television, she played Tessa Kilpin in "No Stone", the 57th episode of The Professionals, and appeared in television programmes including The Bill, EastEnders, Taggart, The Crezz and Diamonds. She had a regular role as Lady Laird Sam Hagan in the Scottish soap Take the High Road for STV from 1990 to 1999. In 1976, she played Wendy Darling in a musical adaptation of J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan starring Mia Farrow and Danny Kaye on NBC's Hallmark Hall of Fame. In film, she played Margo Fassbender in The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) and Ann Underwood in the horror film Edge of Sanity (1989).
On stage, she made many appearances in the West End and the regions including playing Wendy Darling in J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan at the Shaftesbury Theatre in 1980, the musical 'Maggie', also at the Shaftesbury Theatre in 1978 and Charley's Aunt at the Aldwych Theatre in 1983.
She had been an active supporter of Scottish Friends of the Earth's Fight the Fumes campaign. She was married to actor David Robb.
McRoberts died on 17 July 2013 at Fulham Broadway tube station, West London, after being hit by a Tube train. British Transport Police said a file had been sent to the coroner and at the time her death was not being treated as suspicious. McRoberts' agent said that she believed the actress had taken her own life. At an inquest held in Fulham in October 2013 coroner Elizabeth Pygot returned a verdict of suicide and said: "A pathologist and toxicology results found that she had no alcohol, drugs or medication in her system when she died. She had a longstanding battle with anorexia and severe depression and found it difficult to accept medication. Considering the evidence provided I can conclude beyond reasonable doubt that the deceased took her own life. She jumped in front of the tube train and clearly knew what she was doing. She was extremely unhappy and intended to bring her life to an end."
|1976||The Pink Panther Strikes Again||Margo Fassbender|
|1989||Edge of Sanity||Ann Underwood|
- "Briony McRoberts: Versatile actress and star of 'High Road'". The Independent. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- Steven, Alasdair (22 July 2013). "Obituary: Briony McRoberts, actress in Take the High Road, Taggart etc". The Scotsman. Edinburgh. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Actress Briony McRoberts killed by Tube train". BBC News. London. 20 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Actress Briony McRoberts killed by Tube train". The Daily Telegraph. London. 20 July 2013. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "Actor David Robb: 'Anorexia kills women like my wife'". BBC News. 14 July 2014.
- Horrox, Camilla (30 October 2013). "Actress was suffering from anorexia and depression, an inquest heard". getwestlondon. Retrieved 21 July 2014.