Brian James (soccer)
James playing for Toronto FC II in 2017
|Full name||Brian James|
|Date of birth||October 25, 1993|
|Place of birth||Boca Raton, Florida, United States|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2014–2015||Penn State Nittany Lions||38||(4)|
|2016–2018||Toronto FC II||57||(2)|
|2016–2018||→ Toronto FC (loan)||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of August 3, 2019|
Attending American Heritage High School, James recorded 78 goals and 168 assists during his school career. He then attended the University of Virginia for two years, where he scored four goals in 35 appearances.
During his college career, James took a wealth of accolades, including a place in 2014 College Sports Madness All-Big Ten Second Team. He was named two-time ESPN Rise All-American First Team in 2011 and 2012, as well as Florida's 2012 Gatorade Player of the Year. He was crowned Palm Beach Player of the Year in 2010, 2011 and 2012, having guided his school to become FHSAA State Champions twice in three years. James was also Sun-Sentinel Player of the Year on two occasions.
While studying, James played club football for Weston from 2010 to 2012. It was during this time he was chosen to feature in the United States Under-18 National Team camp, and named in the USSF Academy Starting XI Southern Conference side three times.
He moved to Pennsylvania State University in 2014 for a further two years, where he scored four goals in 38 appearances.
James was drafted in the fourth round, 80th overall, in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC on January 19, 2016. On March 24, 2016, it was announced that he would join affiliate team Toronto FC II ahead of the 2016 USL season. He made his debut in a 2–2 draw with New York Red Bulls II two days later.
He was called up to the Toronto FC squad later in the season, and made his debut in the Canadian Championship on June 2, 2016. He replaced Daniel Lovitz for the final six minutes of the 4–2 semi-final first leg win over Montreal Impact.
James was born in Boca Raton, Florida to Alvin and Karen James. He grew up in Sunrise, Florida, alongside sister Kassidy. His father played professional soccer for Fort Lauderdale Strikers between 1989 and 1994.
- "Brian James Bio – VirginiaSports.com – University of Virginia Official Athletics Website – UVA Cavaliers Men's Soccer". www.virginiasports.com. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "Brian James Bio – Men's Soccer – Penn State University Official Athletic Site". www.gopsusports.com. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "Development Academy Announces 2011–12 End of Year Awards". www.ussoccer.com. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- Sun-Sentinel, South Florida. "Former Heritage-Delray star Brian James drafted by Toronto FC". Sun-Sentinel.com. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "Toronto FC II sign Brian James". Toronto FC. March 24, 2016.
- "Toronto FC vs. Montreal Impact | MatchCenter Boxscore". MLSsoccer.com MatchCenter. Retrieved June 2, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Brian James (soccer).|