Hassett graduated from Yale College in 1992, and earned his doctorate in 1996 from Harvard University under the supervision of Joe Harris. After temporary positions at the Mittag-Leffler Institute, University of Chicago, and Chinese University of Hong Kong, he joined the Rice University faculty in 2000. He was promoted to full professor in 2006, chaired the department from 2009 to 2014, and was named as the Milton Brockett Porter Professor of Mathematics in 2013. In July 2015 he moved to Brown University. He is currently the Director of the Institute for Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics.
- Curriculum vitae Archived 2015-07-24 at the Wayback Machine, retrieved 2015-02-11.
- Brendan Hassett at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Review of Introduction to Algebraic Geometry by D.-M. Popescu (2008), MR2324354
- Review of Introduction to Algebraic Geometry by P. N. Ruane (June 9, 2008), MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America, retrieved 2015-02-11.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society