Brandon Smith (rugby league)
Brandon Smith (born 31 May 1996) is a New Zealand professional rugby league footballer who plays as a hooker and lock for the Melbourne Storm in the NRL, and New Zealand and the New Zealand Māori at international level.
|Born||31 May 1996|
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||94 kg (14 st 11 lb)|
As of 1 October 2019
He played his junior rugby league for the Waiheke Rams and Bay Roskill Young Guns in New Zealand.
He moved to Townsville as a teenager because his brother Dylan Smith had an under 20s contract with the North Queensland Cowboys. In Townsville, he was educated at Kirwan State High School where he played school-level football. He continued playing junior league with Centrals Tigers and Brothers in Townsville.
Smith played for the North Queensland Cowboys in the National Youth Competition for two seasons. In May 2016, he played for the 2016 Junior Kiwis against the Junior Kangaroos. In September 2016, he was named at hooker in the Team of the Year. He signed a 3-year contract with the Melbourne Storm in the following month.
He made his NRL debut for the Melbourne Storm against the Knights in round 13, scoring a try. On 24 July, he signed a major contract extension with Melbourne, tying him to the club until the end of 2022, with the intention of his becoming Cameron Smith’s replacement as hooker.
At the beginning of the season he was part of the Melbourne Storm victorious 2018 World Club Challenge Team. In round 23, against the Eels, Smith demonstrated his gritty character by playing a vital role for his depleted team, displaying determination to win with an injured knee. Brandon was also part of the Melbourne Storm team that played in the 2018 NRL Grand Final.
- "Brandon Smith – Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. 31 May 1996. Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- Walter, Brad (23 June 2017). "Brandon Smith hopes to follow in childhood idol's footsteps". Archived from the original on 23 October 2017. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- NRL Digital Media. "Meet: Brandon Smith – Storm". Melbournestorm.com.au. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "S". Nyc Database. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Updated: Representative Round team lists". NRL.com. Archived from the original on 4 June 2016. Retrieved 24 May 2016.
- "2016 Holden Cup Team of the Year announced". NRL.com. 28 February 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- Melbourne Storm (11 October 2016). "Storm re-sign Griffin, add youngsters". Zero Tackle. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Kiwis team announced to take on Kangaroos". NRL.com. 30 April 2017. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Updated team lists: Storm v Knights". NRL.com. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- NRL Digital Media. "Late Mail – Round 13 – Storm". Melbournestorm.com.au. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Slater stars as Storm thrash Knights". NRL.com. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- Dan Walsh. "NRL 2017: Melbourne Storm lock in Big Three successors with four key re-signings". Fox Sports. Retrieved 26 July 2017.