Brampton Centennial Secondary School shooting
The Brampton Centennial Secondary School shooting was a school shooting that occurred at Brampton Centennial Secondary School in Brampton, Ontario, Canada on Wednesday, May 28, 1975, at 11:35 a.m. It was only the second recorded school shooting in Canada, and the first with fatalities. The school closed for the remainder of the week following the shooting, and re-opened the following Monday.
|Brampton Centennial Secondary School shooting|
|Location||Brampton, Ontario, Canada|
|Date||May 28, 1975 |
|Target||Margaret Wright, Ross Bronson|
|School shooting, murder-suicide|
|Deaths||3 (including the perpetrator)|
|Perpetrator||Michael Peter Slobodian|
|Motive||Revenge against two teachers, as well as the school system|
Michael Slobodian, a 16-year-old student at the school, had been cutting classes, and teacher Margaret Wright had called his parents to inform them of the issue. His mother confronted Slobodian about this during a mid-morning break, when Slobodian had gone home. Slobodian then wrote a note to his family, including "I am going to eliminate certain people from this world. Those people are: Mrs. Wright, Mr. Bronson and any other sucker who gets in my way. I am then going to kill myself so as not to be imprisoned." He wanted to get revenge because he hated the school system.
Slobodian returned to school with two rifles in a guitar case. He began by firing at three boys in a washroom, killing fellow student John Slinger and wounding the other two. He then entered the hallway and continued shooting, wounding several students. He proceeded to an art classroom, killed Wright and wounded two more students. He returned to the hallway and killed himself, adjacent to the art classroom. In addition to the three dead (including himself), Slobodian had wounded 13 others.
Witnesses of the shooting included students Cathy and Nancy Davis, the daughters of then Ontario Premier William Davis. Another witness of the shooting was Scott Thompson, of The Kids in the Hall fame, who was in the same English class with Slobodian that was taught by Wright. Thompson has stated that the 24-year-old Wright, who was six months pregnant, had been his favourite teacher and the first person to encourage his writing talents.
- Staff writers (2014-09-23). "Timeline: Murders at GTA schools 1975 to present". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- Andrew-Gee, Eric (2015-05-23). "Brampton Centennial students still haunted by shooting rampage 40 years on". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- Revenge motivated teen, The Ledger (May 29, 1975)
- "Slobodian is the first recorded high-school killer in the country". Archived from the original on 2007-11-23. Retrieved 2017-08-25.
- Youth kills two, self at school, Ellensburg Daily Record (May 29, 1975)
- Myers, Paul (2018). The Kids in the Hall: One Dumb Guy. House of Anansi Press. p. 62-63. ISBN 978-1487001834.