Bottoms Up (1960 film)
It stars Jimmy Edwards in a spin-off of his TV comedy series Whack-O!, playing the seedy, alcoholic, cane-wielding headmaster of Chiselbury School, a fictional British public school. Screenplay was by Michael Pertwee, with additional dialogue by Frank Muir and Denis Norden.
|Directed by||Mario Zampi|
|Produced by||Giulio Zampi|
|Written by||Michael Pertwee|
Additional dialogue by
|Music by||Stanley Black|
|Edited by||Richard Best|
Transocean [Mario Zampi Productions]
|Distributed by||Warner-Pathé Distributors|
Bottoms Up is a 1960 British comedy film.
Professor Jim Edwards is the headmaster of Chiselbury School, a private boarding school for boys. A new head of the school's Board of Governors threatens to replace him as headmaster unless he can drastically improve the school's performance. When Edwards is also confronted by his bookmaker demanding money he owes and which he cannot pay, he devises a plan to deal with both problems by agreeing to accept into Chiselbury the bookmaker's son who will impersonate the heir to the throne of an oil-rich (fictional) state in the Middle East, which he hopes will persuade other parents to enrol their sons.
- Jimmy Edwards as Professor Jim Edwards
- Arthur Howard as Oliver Pettigrew
- Mitch Mitchell (billed as John Mitchell) as Peregrine Wendover
- Martita Hunt as Lady Gore-Willoughby
- Sydney Tafler as Sid Biggs
- Raymond Huntley as Garrick Jones
- Reginald Beckwith as Bishop Wendover
- Vanda Hudson as Matron (as Vanda)
- Melvyn Hayes as Cecil Biggs
- Donald Hewlett as Hamley
- Richard Briers as Colbourne
- TV Guide called the film an "inane slapstick comedy set in an English boarding school...Forced humor from a slapdash script and direction."
- Allmovie wrote, "producer/director Mario Zampi knows where the laughs are and knows how to get them in full measure."
- Sky movies wrote, "it could have been a lot funnier, but, even so, it's a useful record of Edwards in his element."
- "Bottoms Up | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Bottoms Up Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Bottoms Up (1960) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast". AllMovie. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Bottoms Up! - Sky Movies HD". Skymovies.sky.com. 6 November 2003. Archived from the original on 29 March 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2014.