|Comune di Borgo Valsugana|
The Brenta river in Borgo Valsugana.
Coat of arms
Location of Borgo Valsugana in Italy
Borgo Valsugana (Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol)
|Coordinates: 46°3′N 11°27′E|
|• Mayor||Fabio Dalledonne|
|• Total||52.3 km2 (20.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||386 m (1,266 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Borgo is in one of the tightest parts of Valsugana, mount Ciolino and mount Rocchetta, neither very high. It grew on the two sides of river Brenta and its ancient part is the only one in Trentino to occupy both sides of a river (Trento, for instance, is located on only one side of river Adige).
Borgo Valsugana, whose ancient name was Ausugum (the main street of the town, indeed, is named "Corso Ausugum"), used to be a Roman settlement along the Claudia Augusta Altinate road which connected Altino to Tridentum (ancient name for Trento) and then to Augsburg, nowadays in Germany.
Thanks to its location at the bottom of an open valley, the town always benefited from trade. Noblemen from Castelnuovo and Caldonazzo and the Welsperg family used to govern the town and its surroundings.
In 1862 a huge fire destroyed a large part of the town, whose buildings were largely built using wood.
From 1943 to 1945 the antifascist partisans fought in the framework of the "Gherlenda" battalion of the Garibaldine brigade "Antonio Gramsci" located in Feltre.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Data from Istat
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- (in Italian) Official website