The community was laid out in 1840 on the Boone's Lick Road and is named for frontiersman Daniel Boone. Boone's Lick State Historic Site is approximately two miles to the west on Missouri Route 187. The approximate population of the town is 150 citizens.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Boonesboro, Missouri
- Missouri Atlas & Gazetteer, 1998, Delorme p.30 ISBN 0-89933-224-2
- Eaton, David Wolfe (1916). How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named. The State Historical Society of Missouri. p. 175.
- Ramsay, Robert L. (1952). Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names. University of Missouri Press. p. 22.
- Earngey, Bill (1995). Missouri Roadsides: The Traveler's Companion. University of Missouri Press. p. 21.