Church of Bondy
Coat of arms
Paris and inner ring départements
Bondy (Île-de-France (region))
|Coordinates: 48°54′08″N 2°28′58″E|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Sylvine Thomassin|
|5.47 km2 (2.11 sq mi)|
|• Density||9,800/km2 (25,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||37–65 m (121–213 ft) |
(avg. 52 m or 171 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The name Bondy was recorded for the first time around AD 600 as Bonitiacum, meaning "estate of Bonitius", a Gallo-Roman landowner.
During the Middle Ages Bondy was primarily forest. The forest of Bondy was a well-known haunt of bandits and robbers and was extremely dangerous.
On 3 January 1905, a third of the territory of Bondy was detached and became the commune of Les Pavillons-sous-Bois.
On 30 October 2007, a gas explosion killed one person and injured 47 people.
Bondy and its integration into Paris is the subject of part of the second-last chapter of Graham Robb's book Parisians.
- Frédéric Bakekolo, handball player
- Élodie Fontan, actress
- Serge Gakpe, footballer
- Mohamed Hamidi
- Max Hilaire, footballer
- Muriel Hurtis, track and field, athlete
- Steeven Joseph-Monrose, footballer
- Kevin Lafrance, footballer
- David Larose, judoka
- André Malraux, spent much of his childhood in Bondy
- Kylian Mbappé, footballer
- Sylvain Meslien, footballer
- Guy Moussi, footballer
- Michael Nicoise, footballer
- Maureen Nisima, fencer
- Birthplace of Claude-Carloman de Rulhière (1735–1791), poet and historian.
- William Saliba , footballer
- Lalya Sidibe, basketball player
- Doriane Tahane, basketball player
- Audrey Tcheumeo, judoka
- Teddy Tinmar, athlete
- Karidja Touré, actress
- Bakaye Traoré, footballer
- Fodie Traore, footballer
- Jimmy Vicaut, athlete
- Thierry Zig, basketball player
- Elisa Doughty, singer, actress, model
- Lartiste, singer
- 13 public preschools
- 14 public elementary schools
- Junior high schools: Pierre Brossolette, Henri Sellier, Jean Zay, Jean Renoir, Pierre Curie
- Senior high schools: Lycée Léo-Lagrange, Lycée Marcel-Pagnol, Lycée Jean-Renoir
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Vie scolaire Archived 2016-09-08 at the Wayback Machine." Bondy. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- "Les écoles maternelles Archived 2016-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." Bondy. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- "Les écoles élémentaires Archived 2016-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." Bondy. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- "60 millions d’euros pour les collèges Archived 2016-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." Bondy. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.
- "Les lycées Archived 2016-09-16 at the Wayback Machine." Bondy. Retrieved on September 6, 2016.