New South Wales
Location in New South Wales
|• Density||0.21/km2 (0.54/sq mi)|
|Area||14,611 km2 (5,641.3 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Ray Donald (Unaligned)|
The Municipality of Nyngan was proclaimed on 17 February 1891 with Nyngan having a population of 1,355. In 1906 the Bogan Shire was incorporated. The Bogan Shire and the Nyngan municipality amalgamated in 1972.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics during 2003-04 there:
- were 798 wage and salary earners (ranked 151st in New South Wales and 484th in Australia, less than 0.1% of both New South Wales's 2,558,415 and Australia's 7,831,856)
- was a total income of $26 million (ranked 150th in New South Wales and 484th in Australia, less than 0.1% of both New South Wales's $107 billion and Australia's $304 billion)
- was an estimated average income per wage and salary earner of $32,823 (ranked 99th in New South Wales and 338th in Australia, 79% of New South Wales's $41,407 and 85% of Australia's $38,820)
- was an estimated median income per wage and salary earner of $29,413 (ranked 111th in New South Wales and 388th in Australia, 83% of New South Wales's $35,479 and 86% of Australia's $34,149).
Current composition and election method
Bogan Shire Council is composed of nine Councillors elected proportionally as a single ward. All Councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is elected by the Councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 10 September 2016, and the makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Independents and Unaligned||9|
|Glen Neill||Independent||Deputy Mayor|
Bogan Shire is supported by agricultural production, grazing of sheep and cattle and cropping, primarily wheat. The area averages about 17 inches (430 mm) per year. However, there is great variability in the rainfall. In 1888 Nyngan had only 7.5 inches (190 mm) recorded, while in 1950 it had nearly 45 inches (1,100 mm).
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Bogan (A)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18". Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 27 March 2019. Estimated resident population (ERP) at 30 June 2018.
- "Bogan Shire Council". Division of Local Government. Retrieved 3 December 2006.
- "Regional Wage and Salary Earner Statistics, Australia (catalogue no.: 5673.055.003)". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 11 March 2007.
- "Bogan Shire Council: Summary of First Preference Votes for each Candidate". Local Government Elections 2016. Electoral Commission of New South Wales. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "Mayor & Councillors". Bogan Shire Council. Retrieved 3 November 2016.