Bloemendaal [ˈblumə(n)daːl] (
Bloemendaal city hall
Coat of arms
Location in North Holland
|Coordinates: 52°24′N 4°36′E|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Elbert Roest (D66)|
|• Total||45.18 km2 (17.44 sq mi)|
|• Land||39.73 km2 (15.34 sq mi)|
|• Water||5.45 km2 (2.10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||12 m (39 ft)|
|• Density||583/km2 (1,510/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
In October 2015, after persistent problems with the local governance in Bloemendaal, the King's Commissioner of North Holland, Johan Remkes, threatened to disband the municipality if the problems were not fixed within a year. Bernt Schneiders, the mayor of Haarlem, was appointed as acting mayor of Bloemendaal.
The municipal government of Bloemendaal consists of 19 seats, which are (in 2008) divided as follows:
In 1925 Thijsse's Hof (the Garden of Thijsse) was created. It was the first wildlife garden in the Netherlands. It was gifted to Jac. P. Thijsse at the occasion of his 60th birthday. The garden still exists today.
- Bertha Frensel Wegener (1874 in Bloemendaal – 1953) composer and music educator
- Frederick Koolhoven (1886 in Bloemendaal – 1946) aircraft designer in Britain and Netherlands
- Leo Brongersma (1907 in Bloemendaal – 1994) zoologist, herpetologist, author, and lecturer
- Johan Benders (1907 in Bloemendaal – 1943) teacher and victim of the Gestapo
- Hendrik Van Riessen (1911 in Bloemendaal – 2000 in Bloemendaal) second generation reformational philosopher
- Frank de Miranda (1913 in Bloemendaal - 1986) sculptor, psychologist and publicist
- Tjitze Baarda (born 1932 in Vogelenzang) emeritus professor of theology and religious sciences
- Erwin Nypels (born 1933 in Bloemendaal) former politician
- Louwrien Wijers (born 1941 in Aerdenhout) artist and writer
- Ankie Broekers-Knol (born 1946) politician, a municipal councillor
- Arielle Vernède (born 1953 in Bloemendaal) pianist.
- Frank Gerard Rozendaal (1957 in Bloemendaal–2013) ornithologist, researched the Southeast Asian avifauna
- Mary van der Valk (born 1958 in Bloemendaal) Children's literature and spirituality writer
- Cornelis van der Vliet (1880 in Bloemendaal – 1960 in Bloemendaal) sports shooter, competed in the team clay pigeon event at the 1920 Summer Olympics
- Kick Smit (1911 in Bloemendaal – 1974) football player, 29 caps and 26 goals for the Netherlands national football team
- Aat de Roos (1919 in Bloemendaal – 1992) field hockey player, competed in the 1936 Summer Olympics
- Gijs van Lennep (born 1942 in Aerdenhout) esquire and former racing driver
- Robert van Werkhoven (born 1954 in Bloemendaal) sailor, competed at 1976 Summer Olympics
- Gert Jan Schlatmann (born 1963 in Bloemendaal) former field hockey player
- Ellen Hoog (born 1986 in Bloemendaal) field hockey player
- "College van B en W" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Bloemendaal. Archived from the original on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 2051ED". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- Statistics Netherlands (15 November 2010). "Bloemendaal en Wassenaar zijn rijkste gemeenten". Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "Noord-Holland dreigt met opheffen Bloemendaal" (in Dutch). Algemeen Dagblad. 7 October 2015. Retrieved 26 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bloemendaal.|