Blindheim (German: [ˈblɪnthaɪm]), traditionally known in English as Blenheim (// BLEN-im), is a municipality in the Bavarian district of Dillingen in southern Germany, consisting of several villages. It is north of Augsburg, on the left bank of the Danube River. Its population is roughly 1,700.
Church of Saint Martin
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 48°38′N 10°38′E|
|• Mayor||Jürgen Frank (Freie Bürgerliste)|
|• Total||26.39 km2 (10.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||415 m (1,362 ft)|
|• Density||64/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
On 13 August 1704 the Battle of Blenheim (German: Schlacht von Höchstädt) was fought in the vicinity, having decisive importance on the War of Spanish Succession. Blenheim Palace in England was named in memory of the battle, and thus ultimately after Blindheim.
In June 1800, the armies of the French First Republic, under command of Jean Victor Moreau, fought Habsburg regulars and Württemberg contingents, under the general command of Pál Kray. At this battle, the culmination of the Danube Campaign of 1800, Moreau forced Kray to abandon Ulm and withdraw into eastern Bavaria.
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2019.
- "Höchstädt", History of the Wars of the French Revolution: Including Sketches of the Civil History of Great Britain and France, from the Revolutionary Movements, 1788, to the Restoration of a General Peace, 1815, Kuhl, France, 1820, p. 183.