Blegny-Mine was a coal mine in Trembleur, near Liège, in Belgium which today is preserved as an industrial heritage site and show mine. The museum features on the European Route of Industrial Heritage and is one of the four Walloon mining sites listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 2012.
Mining at the site was begun by the monks of Val-Dieu Abbey in the 16th century. The first mine shaft was sunk in 1779 and expanded throughout the 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1883, two concession companies in the region merged but went bankrupt in 1887. Mining at the site was taken up by the Société anonyme des Charbonnages d'Argenteau in 1919. During the Battle of Belgium in May 1940, the mine's headframe was destroyed by the Belgian army and many of the current buildings on the site were rebuilt in the mid-1940s. At the mine's height in 1970, it produced 232,000 tonnes (228,000 long tons; 256,000 short tons) of coal per year and employed 680 workers. It was one of the last active coal mines in the Province of Liège, closing after subsidies were withdrawn following the 1973 oil crisis, in 1980.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Blegny-Mine.|