Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute
Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute (Birchmount Park CI, BPCI, or Birchmount Park) is a high school located in Scarborough, a part of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It operates under the Scarborough Board of Education with the latter board merged into the present Toronto District School Board. The school sits atop the Scarborough Bluffs overlooking Lake Ontario and Birchmount Park itself.
|Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute|
3663 Danforth Avenue
|School type||Public, high school|
|Motto||Latin: Vertias Omnia Vincit|
(Truth Conquers All)
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
(Scarborough Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Parthi Kandvel|
|School number||4118 / 895016|
|Colour(s)||Blue, Gold, Black and White|
|Team name||Birchmount Park Panthers|
To provide additional crowds in the southern Scarborough community, Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute was constructed in May 1963 and accepted by the Scarborough Board of Education in July 1964. The school, as the tenth collegiate, opened its doors on September 8, 1964 with its first principal, John H. Edwards. The structure of the 1900-pupil school were designed by architects Sidney Bregman and George Hamann. Prior to the opening, the students in the area previously attended nearby collegiates such as R.H. King, Midland, and W. A. Porter as well as Malvern in the eastern end of Toronto.
Birchmount Park's Adult Re-Entry program for the Scarborough Board of Education was established in November 1977 with one teacher and fifteen students that evolved into Scarborough Centre for Alternative Studies in September 1986 opened at Tabor Park Vocational School on Midland Avenue.
Birchmount Park Collegiate is located in a 9.057 acre site. The structure is combined with load-bearing walls and steel-frame construction as well as window area reduced to save costs (although the design bear resemblance to Wexford Collegiate School for the Arts).
The 181,114 square foot campus has 22 classrooms, lecture room, music room, drama room, six science labs, art room, home economics room, a library, three gymnasia (that can be partitioned into smaller gyms), a weight room, 1045-seated auditorium built in a style of a theatre, cafeteria with kitchen, administrative and guidance offices, and technical shops for electrical, automotive, carpentry and metal. Attached to Birchmount Park is Birchmount Stadium with the 400m race track and sports field with artificial turf.
- Tyler Toffoli, professional hockey player
- Clifton Dawson, professional football player
- Jemal Thompson, professional football player
- Anthony Stewart, professional hockey player
- Wayne Simmonds, professional hockey player
- Justyn Warner, Olympian; professional track athlete
- Ian Warner, Olympian
- The Weeknd (Abel Tesfaye), Grammy Award winning musician
- Aaron Brown, Olympic medalist
- Peter Zezel, professional hockey player
- Devante Smith-Pelly, professional hockey player
- Crispin Duenas, Olympian; archer
- Tim Smith (baseball), professional baseball player
- Russell Williams, serial killer
- Kalchman, Lois (3 January 2008). "Tyler Toffoli, Toronto Jr. Canadiens AAA". Toronto Star. Retrieved 17 December 2015.
- "Col. Russell Williams: A serial killer like none police have seen | The Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- "Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute School Profile" (PDF). Toronto District School Board. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- "Welcome to Birchmount Park CI". Birchmount Park Collegiate Institute. 2009-05-12. Archived from the original on 2009-06-05. Retrieved 2009-05-24.