Big Town (film)
Big Town is a 1947 American crime film directed by William C. Thomas and written by Daniel Mainwaring and Maxwell Shane. The film stars Phillip Reed, Hillary Brooke, Robert Lowery, Veda Ann Borg, Byron Barr and Charles Arnt. The film was released on May 23, 1947, by Paramount Pictures.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||William C. Thomas|
|Produced by||William H. Pine|
William C. Thomas
|Screenplay by||Daniel Mainwaring|
|Story by||Daniel Mainwaring|
Veda Ann Borg
|Music by||Darrell Calker|
|Cinematography||Fred Jackman Jr.|
|Edited by||Howard A. Smith|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
- Phillip Reed as Steve Wilson
- Hillary Brooke as Lorelei Kilbourne
- Robert Lowery as Pete Ryan
- Veda Ann Borg as Vivian LeRoy
- Byron Barr as Vance Crane
- Charles Arnt as Amos Peabody
- Nana Bryant as Mrs. Crane
- Roy Gordon as Editor Post
- Eddie Parks as Gerald Meeker
- Nella Walker as Mrs. Johannsen
- Thomas E. Jackson as Police Chief Berkley
Pine Thomas bought film rights in 1945 intended to make two films a year in the series.
The script was written by Daniel Mainwaring who later recalled, "Bill Thomas of Pine and Thomas, who made very small and very bad pictures at Paramount, gave me my first real screenwriting job. I wrote six pictures in one year, all of which I'd just as soon forget except Big Town . At the end of the year, I fled to the hills and wrote Build My Gallows High."
Comic book adaptation
- Fiction House Movie Comics #1 (December 1946)
- Big Town radio series
- "Big Town (1947) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- Hal Erickson. "Big Town (1947) - William C. Thomas | Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related". AllMovie. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- "Big Town". Afi.com. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- McGilligan (ed.), Pat (1997). Backstory 2: Interviews with Screenwriters of the 1940s and 1950s. University of California Press. p. 196-197.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "Fiction House Movie Comics #1". Grand Comics Database.
- Fiction House Movie Comics #1 at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)