Bielawa

Bielawa [bʲɛˈlava] (listen) (German: Langenbielau; Silesian: Bjelawa), population 31,988 (2010), is a town in southwestern Poland. Since 1999, it has been situated in Dzierżoniów County, Lower Silesian Voivodeship. From 1975–1998, it was part of the Wałbrzych Voivodeship, and from the 13th century up to 1945 was inside of Germany territory.

Bielawa

Flag

Coat of arms
Bielawa
Coordinates: 50°42′N 16°37′E
Country Poland
VoivodeshipLower Silesian
CountyDzierżoniów
GminaBielawa (urban gmina)
Established13th century
Town rights1924
Government
  MayorAndrzej Hordyj
Area
  Total36.21 km2 (13.98 sq mi)
Highest elevation
964 m (3,163 ft)
Lowest elevation
280 m (920 ft)
Population
 (2010)
  Total31,988
  Density880/km2 (2,300/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+1 (CET)
  Summer (DST)UTC+2 (CEST)
Postal code
58-260 to 58-263
Area code(s)+48 74
Car platesDDZ
Websitehttp://www.bielawa.pl

Bielawa lies in the central part of Lower Silesia, along the Bielawica stream in the Sowie Mountains region. The town covers an area in excess of 36 square kilometres (14 sq mi).

Bielawa lies at an altitude range of 280 and 964 m above sea level, in the Sowie Mountains. It is considered one of the most naturally beautiful regions of the Lower Silesian Voivodeship, and is a year-round tourist destination. Its outdoor attractions include four major hiking trails of varying difficulty in an 80 square kilometer scenic park, as well as cycling trails and ski lifts.

History

  • 13th century — Bielawa was established
  • 1720 — First brick house
  • 1741 — Addressing the village by the Prussian army
  • 1805 — Christian Dierig involves weaving company (Christian Dierig AG)
  • 1806-1808 — French occupation
  • 1891 — Railway line Dzierżoniów - Bielawa opened
  • 1924 — Bielawa given town rights
  • 1945 — Soviet occupation
  • 2006 — The opening of the bypass

Main sights

Bielawa has a rich choice of old architecture. At its center is the 19th-century Neo-Gothic Church of the Assumption with a 101 m tall tower, the third tallest in Poland. Other interesting buildings include a late-Renaissance palace originally built as a fortified manor house; the Church of the Corpus Christi, erected in 1743; and numerous 18th-century Baroque houses that were restored in the 19th and early 20th centuries. It is also a home to a number of medieval penitential crosses.

Population

Notable people

  • Jeremiah Dencke (1725−1795), composer
  • Ferdinand Gottlieb Flechtner (1811–1867), German industrialist
  • Adolph Franz (1842–1916), German politician
  • Friedrich Dierig (1845–1931), German industrialist
  • Arthur Philipp Flechtner (1858–1936), Prussian General
  • Karl Franz (1881–1967), German politician
  • Georg Muschner (1885–1971), German cinematographer
  • Walter Möse (1920–1944), Wehrmacht Oberfeldwebel
  • Waltraut Engelberg (born 1929), author and wife of Ernst Engelberg
  • Johann Alexander Wisniewsky (1929–2012), German industrialist
  • Horst Weigang (born 1940), German athlete
  • Eleni Tzoka (born 1956), Polish singer
  • Aleksandra Kwasniewska (born 1978), Polish singer
  • Robert Skibniewski (born 1983), Polish basketball player
  • Jarosław Kuźniar (born 1979), Polish journalist and TV presenter
  • Janusz Góra (born 1963), Polish footballer
  • Art Binkowski, Polish-Canadian Olympic boxer (Sydney, 2000)

International relations

Twin towns — Sister cities

Bielawa is twinned with:

Surroundings

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.