Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 51°21′35″N 12°42′41″E|
|• Mayor||Bernd Laqua|
|• Total||46.42 km2 (17.92 sq mi)|
|Elevation||117 m (384 ft)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||L, BNA, GHA, GRM, MTL, WUR|
Today Bennewitz is a cluster of several villages administered by Bennewitz village. The main village of Bennewitz is one of the oldest settlements in the Mulde-valley. It is probably named after Bono or Bonislaw who settled here about 1200 years ago. The name is of Sorbian (see: Wends) origin, as many geographical names in the area. Its old village core has the shape of a typical Sorbian (Wendish) 'Rundling' village.
Bennewitz is situated at the intersection of highway B6 and highway B107. The former connects it with the metropolitan area of Leipzig. The village has a train station which is served by local commuter trains.