Bendigo Art Gallery
Bendigo Art Gallery in Bendigo, founded in 1887, is one of Australia’s oldest and largest regional art galleries. The Bendigo Art Gallery hosts Australia's richest open painting prize, the Arthur Guy Memorial Painting Prize, worth $50,000, which was launched in 2003.
Bendigo Art Gallery, Bolton Court seen from View Street
|Location||42 View Street, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia|
The gallery's collection was first housed in the former Bendigo Volunteer Rifle's room, converted into an exhibition space by Bendigo architect W. C. Valhand in 1890 and renamed Bolton Court. In 1897 it was extended with Drury Court, designed by local architect William Beebe. In 1962 the gallery was again extended with office space and additional exhibition spaces, as well as a new entrance. From 1998 to 2001 the gallery was refurbished and expanded with a new sculpture gallery designed by Fender Katsalidis Architects.
The gallery's collection has a strong emphasis on British and European Continental 19th-century painting, with works by Ernest Waterlow and Pierre Puvis de Chavannes among others. Australian work from the 19th century onwards is also well represented, including Charles Conder and Arthur Streeton.
The gallery's logo is an image of Ettore Cadorin's statue Venus tying her sandals (1913). Cadorin was an Italian-born American, but was married to an Australian contralto, Erna Mueller, who trained at the Bendigo Conservatory. He sold the statue to the gallery after visiting it in 1913.
- "Bendigo Art Gallery turns 120". ABC Online. ABC Central Victoria - Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 29 December 2010.
- Quinlan, Karen (2004). Bendigo Art Gallery Selected Works, Bendigo Art Gallery. ISBN 0-949215-27-9.
- "Bendigo Art Gallery: "History of Bendigo Art Gallery", retrieved 18 November 2012". Archived from the original on 25 October 2012. Retrieved 18 November 2012.
- The Age, 19–20 December 2003, Review, "Work of the Week", p. 7.
- NSW Art Gallery. Retrieved 21 May 2016