Bendel Insurance F.C.
Bendel Insurance Football Club, also known as Insurance of Benin Football Club or simply Bendel Insurance, is a soccer club based in Benin City, Nigeria. They were originally known as the Vipers of Benin. Their venue is Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, which has a capacity of 20,000.
|Full name||Bendel Insurance Football Club|
|Nickname(s)||Vipers, The Benin Arsenal|
|Ground||Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium|
Benin City, Nigeria
|League||Nigerian Professional Football League|
The club is owned by the Edo State government.
Created by Dr. Samuel Osaigbovo Ogbemudia, Bendel Insurance was one of the founding members of the Nigerian Premier League in 1972.
The team had its first month of the 2007–08 season delayed because of a management dispute over who controlled the team. The crisis led to at one time two different clubs claiming the name Insurance. They were relegated at the end of the 2007–08 season after finishing in last place, the first relegation from the top level in team history.
In August 2008, the ownership crisis was settled and the Edo State government took control. Thus the name officially reverted to Bendel Insurance Football Club.
However the financial problems continued throughout the season. In February 2009 Insurance was banned from using their stadium temporarily because it was not up to league standards. In March, they were one of eight teams threatened with having their participation suspended due to a backlog of debts and fines. Finally, they were exiled to Ilorin for their final home game of the season after crowd trouble in a 1–1 tie against Shooting Stars FC that put an end to their promotion chances. The reason to Bendel Insurance's breakdown was because of the ownership situations.
- 1973, 1979
- 1972, 1978, 1980
- CAF Cup: 1
- 1993, 1994, 1995
Performance in CAF competitions
- African Cup of Champions Clubs: 2 appearances
- CAF Confederation Cup: 1 appearance
- 2005 – Second Round
- CAF Cup: 1 appearance
- 1994 – Champion
- CAF Cup Winners' Cup: 2 appearances
- 1979 – Semi-Finals
- 1982 – Second Round
As of 30 January 2019
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- "Edo State To Rebrand Bendel Insurance Football Club • Channels Television".
- "Bendel Insurance, three other teams promoted to Nigeria pro football league – Premium Times Nigeria". 9 January 2019.
- "Stadiums in Nigeria". World Stadiums. Retrieved 15 July 2007.
- "Nigeria's Edo State to pay women and men teams equally". 19 November 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Odegbami, Olusegun (18 January 2019). "The Return of 'Bede' Insurance!". Vanguard Nigeria.
- "Insurance FC crisis started since 1995". NIGERIAN TRIBUNE. Archived from the original on 27 May 2008. Retrieved 4 January 2008.
- "Osunbor summons Ebewele, Ekhosuehi – Insurance crisis latest". NIGERIAN TRIBUNE. Retrieved 4 January 2008.
- "Compass News – Awaken To A Different World". Compass News – Awaken To A Different World. Archived from the original on 17 June 2009. Retrieved 7 March 2009.