Howlett playing for Essendon in June 2017
|Full name||Ben Howlett|
|Date of birth||21 October 1988|
|Place of birth||Donnybrook, Western Australia|
|Original team(s)||Peel Thunder (WAFL)|
|Draft||No. 30, 2009 rookie draft|
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||75 kg (165 lb)|
|Position(s)||Midfielder / forward|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2017.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Howlett was selected by Essendon with pick 30 in the 2010 rookie draft, as a 21-year-old from Peel Thunder in the West Australian Football League. His final season with Peel Thunder saw him claim the club's best and fairest award. He was promoted to Essendon's senior list in the 2010 season.
Howlett, along with 33 other Essendon players, was found guilty of using a banned performance-enhancing substance, thymosin beta-4, as part of Essendon's sports supplements program during the 2012 season. He and his teammates were initially found not guilty in March 2015 by the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal, but a guilty verdict was returned in January 2016 after an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency. He was suspended for one season which, with backdating, ended in November 2016; as a result, he served approximately fourteen months of his suspension and missed the entire 2016 AFL season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Mandurah Mail (28 September 2009). "Howlett named the best, coach announced". Mandurah Mail. Archived from the original on 2 October 2009. Retrieved 15 December 2009.
- Twomey, Callum (31 March 2015). "Thirty-four present and former Bombers cleared of all drug charges". AFL.com.au. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Travis King (12 January 2016). "Guilty: court bans the Essendon 34 for 2016". Australian Football League. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "Dons announce list changes". EssendonFC.com.au. Bigpond. 24 October 2017. Retrieved 24 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ben Howlett.|
- Ben Howlett's profile on the official website of the Essendon Football Club
- Ben Howlett's playing statistics from AFL Tables
- WAFL statistics