Behind the Mask (1946 film)
Behind The Mask is a 1946 American comedy-mystery film directed by Phil Karlson and starring Kane Richmond and Barbara Read. It was the second in a series of three films released by Monogram in 1946 starring Richmond as the crimefighter The Shadow, the others being The Shadow Returns and The Missing Lady.
|Behind The Mask|
|Directed by||Phil Karlson|
|Distributed by||Monogram Pictures|
Lamont Cranston, alias The Shadow, has to clear his name of the murder of a blackmailing newspaper reporter by solving the crime himself.
- Kane Richmond as Lamont Cranston (The Shadow)
- Barbara Read as Margo Lane
- George Chandler as Shrevvie
- Dorothea Kent as Jennie Delaney
- Joseph Crehan as Police Inspector Cardonna
- Pierre Watkin as Police Commissioner Weston
- Robert Shayne as Brad Thomas
- June Clyde as Edith Merrill
- James Cardwell as Jeff Marin
- Marjorie Hoshelle as Mae Bishop
- Joyce Compton as Lulu
Film historian Larry Langman dismissed Behind the Mask as a "feeble entry in the Shadow mystery series". Critic Leonard Maltin gave the film a mixed review, describing it as a "decent low-budget whodunit" with "some nice visual touches but way too much 'comedy' relief."
- Mayer, Geoff (2012). Historical Dictionary of Crime Films. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press. p. 235. ISBN 0810867699.
- Erickson, Hal (2014). From Radio to the Big Screen: Hollywood films featuring broadcast personalities and programs. McFarland. pp. 108–109. ISBN 9781476615585.
- Okuda, Ted (1999). The Monogram checklist: the films of Monogram Pictures Corporation, 1931-1952. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland. p. 213. ISBN 0786407506.
- Langman, Larry (1998). The Media in the Movies: A Catalog of American Journalism Films, 1900-1996. McFarland. p. 33. ISBN 147660925X.
- Leonard, Maltin, ed. (2015). Turner Classic Movies Presents Leonard Maltin's Classic Movie Guide: From the Silent Era Through 1965. Penguin. ISBN 9780698197299.