Because of Him
|Because of Him|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Richard Wallace|
|Produced by||Felix Jackson|
|Screenplay by||Edmund Beloin|
|Music by||Miklós Rózsa|
|Edited by||Ted J. Kent|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Kim Walker (Deanna Durbin) is an ambitious waitress who dreams of being on the stage. She tricks respected stage actor John Sheridan (Charles Laughton) into signing a letter of introduction. Thanks to the forged letter, Kim then wins the role of Sheridan's co-star in his next play, much to the disgust of the writer Paul Taylor (Franchot Tone).
- Deanna Durbin as Kim Walker
- Charles Laughton as John Sheridan
- Franchot Tone as Paul Taylor
- Helen Broderick as Nora
- Stanley Ridges as Charles Gilbert
- Donald Meek as Martin
- Regina Wallace as Head Nurse
- Charles Halton as Mr. Dunlap
- Douglas Wood as Samual Hapgood
- Bobby Barber as Stagehand (uncredited)
- Robert Homans as Police Sergeant (uncredited)
- Ray Walker as Daniels (uncredited)
In February 1945 Universal announced that Deanna Durbin and Charles Laughton, who had previously appeared together in It Started with Eve, would be reunited in Catherine the Last, "a contemporary comedy-drama with music". It would be filmed before Merry Merry Marriage recently announced for Dubin. In May Richard Wallace signed to direct.
Durbin had married the producer Felix Jackson in June 1945 and at the time of filming, she was pregnant with her first child.
- "Because of Him". FilmAffinity. filmaffinity.com. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- SCREEN NEWS: Deanna Durbin, Charles Laughton to Co-Star Jeanne Crain Gets Part. New York Times 17 Feb 1945: 10.
- Looking at Hollywood Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune 23 May 1945: 20.
- Disney Buys Novel Tale; Payne, Tone Well Cast Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times9 Aug 1945: A3.
- Deanna Durbin's Roles to Continue: Motherhood Won't End Screen Career of Glamorous Singer Maternity Not to End Star's Roles Deanna Durbin Will Resume Film Career After Motherhood Scott, John L. Los Angeles Times 9 Sep 1945: B1.
- THAT OLD QUESTION: Mr. Dietz's Thoughts on Film 'Significance' Are Put to a Practical Test Or Insignificance? Because of Ham By BOSLEY CROWTHER. New York Times3 Feb 1946: X1.
- BY WAY OF REPORT: Brief Encounter With Deanna Durbin- New York Times 21 Apr 1946: 51.