The Church Saint-Nicolas (2010)
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 49°04′51″N 0°46′41″E|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Jean-Pierre Le Roux|
|36.42 km2 (14.06 sq mi)|
|• Density||82/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||84–163 m (276–535 ft) |
(avg. 80 m or 260 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The commune is located in the valley of the Risle on the edge of the forest with which it shares its name. It is crossed by the Paris-Cherbourg railway line, on which it has a station. The Beaumont forest covers four communes; it is the largest private forest in Normandy.
Humphrey (or Honfroy, Onfroi or Umfrid) de Vieilles (died c. 1044) was the first holder of the "grand honneur" of Beaumont-le-Roger, one of the most important groups of domains in eastern Normandy and the founder of the House of Beaumont. He was married to Albreda or Alberée de la Haye Auberie. His son, Roger de Beaumont, a powerful 11th century lord and adviser to William the Conqueror, derived his family name from Beaumont, of which his family were lords.